Reducing fuel/oil usage

You’re right. I’m lazy. I won’t ride a bike 27 miles to work on a series of highways and in the dark. If I ever contemplate suicide, this will be a great way to make it work without losing insurance money.

It’s all a matter of choice. I choose to use my car only when necessary and to live close to where I work so I can ride my bike. Plus, if it’s cold, I walk–easy. Choose to live far from where you work, expect to keep on buying gas and expect to keep getting fatter and fatter. And who said anything about kids! Kids used to walk to school and walk to activities–OR RIDE THEIR BIKES (as I did). Now fat little soccer moms drive their fat little kids to soccer practice in Yukons! That’s the American way and the oil companies love it! And they’re not worried–they know that’s that how it’s going to be for a long time.
The only real problem with riding a bike for me is that I know I’ll probably lose my life because of some idiot in a car who’s not paying attention or who has a heart attack while driving from lack of exercise and runs me over. But again, that’s my choice–and I accept that risk. I’m sure the great majority of drivers will be glad to have one less biker to deal with on their way to a job they hate!

Jos_E says “According to Mitt Romney (and MANY conservatives)…corporations ARE people and should be treated with the same privileges and rights.”

I saw this protest sign online.

If corporations are people I can’t wait until Texas executes one of them.

Choose to live far from where you work, expect to keep on buying gas and expect to keep getting fatter and fatter.

Very simplistic view…It’s a lot easier said then done…People usually don’t keep the same job (tough job market)…and if they do…who’s to say the company will stay in the same location…My company has moved twice for the few years I’ve worked there…One move was 40 miles away…Can’t keep buying and selling homes…Lot cheaper to buy gas.

And who said anything about kids!

When you have school age kids (especially ones that play sports) you have to schlep them around…Can’t do that on a bicycle

As so whether corporations are people, I’ll believe they are when the state of Texas executes a corporation.

Whitey…I need to get that on a tee-shirt.

nice

Let the fat little twits ride their own bicycles.

BTW, I knew someone in my high school that was killed in a hit and run accident on his way home from school. How many parents want their children riding bicycles on busy roads? And that was before sunset. If they participate in extracurricular activities, they might have to ride home after dark. Bike rides at our high schools would have to ride in the dark for much of the school year since they start at 7:10AM. A bad idea whose time hasn’t come.

Double BTW: wilkepa72, if you would like to engage in a adult conversation some time, let us know.

"As so whether corporations are people, I’ll believe they are when the state of Texas executes a corporation. "

Has any corporation ever committed the type of crime that would bring on the death penalty in Texas, gunning down a cop in cold blood during a traffic stop, dragging a black man to death behind a pickup truck, serial rape/murder, you know, stuff like that?

Most corporations use their lobbying power to fight really really bad ideas in congress, for which I am eternally grateful.
A lot of corporations have a lot of lobbying power because they represent the wants or needs of a large constituency.

Most corporations use their lobbying power to fight really really bad ideas in congress, for which I am eternally grateful.

You never heard of the “Love Canal”…or one of the thousands of the super fund sights…Yes…not murder…but definitely criminal.

B.L.E.: “Has any corporation ever committed the type of crime that would bring on the death penalty in Texas, gunning down a cop in cold blood during a traffic stop, dragging a black man to death behind a pickup truck, serial rape/murder, you know, stuff like that?”

I used to have a friend, who got injured, and was refused treatment by his corporate insurance company, and therefore, died. I consider that murder.

What about when an American corporation has its toys made in China, and that toy kills a child because it contains lead? That, I think, is worthy of the death penalty.

@EllyEllis: “Whitey has the right answer, get a new Chevy “Sonic” with a 1.8 4 cylinder with a 5-speed stick with a heater only.”

Dear Mr. Ellis:

Please do not presume to speak for me … ever.

What you are doing is petty and bitter. You’re bringing an argument from another thread into this thread, a pattern you have repeated in the past. Please stop it.

I am a grown man and I can speak for myself, but even if I was not able to speak for myself, you would be the last person I would ask to speak on my behalf.

Thank you.

My apologies–I got a little frustrated. You are both right, MikeInNH and jtsanders. These are complex issues, and I’m sorry for being reductivist. What’s right for me, I know, isn’t right for a lot of other people.
All the best, and again, my apologies. Yesterday was not a good day for me.

"I used to have a friend, who got injured, and was refused treatment by his corporate insurance company, and therefore, died. I consider that murder.

What about when an American corporation has its toys made in China, and that toy kills a child because it contains lead? That, I think, is worthy of the death penalty. "

If that “derserves the death penalty” then Ted Kennedy should have been strung up by a rope for swimming away from that car accident and letting his passenger drown.

There were 1249 murders in Texas in 2010. How many do you think were given the death penalty?

EIGHT!!! That’s right, only eight! That illustrates how extreme a murder has to be to get the death penalty, even in Texas.

There were 1249 murders or convicted murderers ? That’s an important distinction in your argument. BTW, money is the biggest insulation from the death penalty, let alone being arrested and, or found guilty for any offense. Teddy “inherited” his freedom from involuntary manslaughter. No one would say (except those who disagree with his politics) he was guilty of murder.

"Teddy “inherited” his freedom from involuntary manslaughter. No one would say (except those who disagree with his politics) he was guilty of murder. "

Apparently, there are a few on this board who would call what he did “capital murder” if only he was a corporation.

A disagreement on payment of medical bills=capital murder? Really? I don’t even think that would rank as “criminally negligent homicide”, a 180day to two year offense in a state jail in Texas.

B.L.E.,

If you have proof that Ted Kennedy murdered anyone, I would love to see it. I will admit the circumstances surrounding that event were suspicious, but you seem ready to convict him based on what, your suspicion?

I imagine the “death penalty” for corporations would not be the same as an execution. If the state of Tejas were to execute a corporation, I would imagine that would be an eternal ban on doing business in the state, and a ban on locating any of the corporation’s resources there.

I only brought up the death penalty to demonstrate that corporations are NOT people, and I think I’ve successfully made my point.

“If you have proof that Ted Kennedy murdered anyone, I would love to see it. I will admit the circumstances surrounding that event were suspicious, but you seem ready to convict him based on what, your suspicion?”

So many seem to be ready to convict corporations with suspicions or just wishful thinking. There has been so much corporation bashing lately, mostly, I think, to serve as a red herring.
If a corporation actually does engage in criminal behavior, we have the RICO statute to deal with it.
If they merely engage in irresponsible behavior, that’s what civil suits are for. Every jury I have sat on involved an individual suing a corporation, and sometimes winning. They are not “unsueable”, in fact it is just the opposite. A lot of law firms will take on corporations because they have deep pockets and are worth suing, provided the lawsuit is winnable.
On the other hand, if you want to sue some ne’er-do-well relative, good luck. Your lawyer will want cash in advance because even if you win, you probably won’t collect.

If you feel that corporations should not be allowed to contribute to candidates, well, let’s apply that rule to all collectives of people, not just corporations, let’s include unions, special interest groups, etc.

Corporations have a much higher level of protection from suits then institutions or persons who are not Incorporated. It takes deep pockets and time to penetrate this protection civilly.

Many large Corporations have engaged in criminal behavior (tobacco asbestos etc.) that took years to hold accountable. By their nature, making profit their prime motivation makes them sociopathic. This has long been an acknowledged characteristic even by those who run them.

BLE, you can’t sugar coat the need to highly regulate and control their behavior. Many people just don’t seem to get it.

Example…drug companies routinely hold back more beneficial drugs in drug test submissions to the FDA for approval until the pattents for in use drugs have run out. The average person may feel that is good business. The family member who learns their relative had to endure added suffering feels it’s sociopathic and criminal but has little recourse because it is lawful practice in the corporate world.

And now, institutions who engage in this type of behavior that affect so many people are free contribute unlimited amounts into our election system.

Corporations can/are bullies that can squash the little guy…or cause the little guy to spend MILLIONS defending themselves.

Most recently here in New England…Oakhurst dairy got sued in 2003 by Monsanto because Oakhurst had on their labels that their milk didn’t contain any artificial growth hormones. There was no mention of Monsanto in the label at all.

Monsanto -
“We believe Oakhurst labels deceive consumers; they’re marketing a perception that one milk product is safer or of higher quality than other milk,” said Jennifer Garrett, director of technical services for Monsanto’s dairy business. “Numerous scientific and regulatory reviews throughout the world demonstrate that that’s unfounded. The milk is the same, and the amount of protein, fats, nutrients, etc. are all the same.”

http://www.foxbghsuit.com/oakhurstdairy.htm

Then there’s the one some 40+ years ago in the mid-west when Burger King was making it’s way across the country. A small burger joint (Mom and Pop shop) had a slogan “The King of Burgers”. The place had been around before the founder of Burger King was born. But Burger King sued them anyways…And the Mom and Pop shop went out of business trying to defend itself…