Rebuilt engines

My stepson’s Ford Explorer with about 130K miles had a minor problem…the engine seized up. The guys at the shop couldn’t budge it, and at this time we are considering a rebuilt engine. (We still owe two years on the loan.)

Overall, the car (I think a 2001 model)is in good shape with battery, brakes, tires, etc. My stepson did keep up with oil changes every 3,000 miles, so I don’t think this happened due to neglect on his part.

There is no warranty on the vehicle presently.

The shop the car is located can put in a rebuilt including parts/ labor (including new hoses belts, etc) for about $2,700. They will warrant it for 6 months.

We just found out from a trusted party that he knows of a business that rebuilds engines and warrants them for 50,000 miles. I don’t know if they have to do the install on not, and I don’t have all the details.

The main questions are what are your thoughts on putting in a rebuilt, and if you were having it done, what kind of warranty would you expect?

Thank you gentlemen, and BTW, I love the show. :>)

Michael David Miller

If it matters, we are located in the Detroit, Michigan area.

If the shop is going to put in a factory rebuilt engine and give a complete warranty for 6 months, you will most likely be fine. If the engine fails, it is most likely to happen within the first months of use. Back in the 1950’s, the standard automobile warranty was 90 days or 4,000 miles. Most of the major failures of a component occured within this time period. It cost manufacturers very little to extend this warranty–I remember when Chrysler extended the power train warranty back in 1963 to 5 years or 50,000 miles.

Some time back, Sears and Montgomery Ward sold factory rebuilt engines from their catalogs for many cars. The standard warranty was 90 days or 4000 miles. I would ask the shop about the source of the rebuilt engine. If the source is a major rebuilder such as Jasper, I don’t think you have a problem with this option.

Typically, a seized engine isn’t considered a “minor” problem.
The cigarette lighter not working would be considered a minor problem. :wink:

I would recommend going with the source you trust the most.

I personally would go with the shop, rather than the friend of a friend who knows a company, etc…

BC.

These engines normally are bullet-proof, a very, very low failure rate. That means good engines are available at salvage yards. Don’t overlook that option. With Fords “Modular” overhead cam engines, I would prefer a factory assembled engine over a “rebuilt” unit…