Rear axel shaft 04 Nissan Pathfinder

I’m trying to replace my rear axel shaft. I have two photos one is the old one and the other is the new one. The new shaft looks nothing like the old one but AutoZone is telling me it’s the right part. How do I go about finding the right part or is it the right part?
Uploading: B348E836-6873-480F-BF64-5B224D555FDB.jpeg…
Uploading: 2A0D35E1-EA09-44DA-9F78-369FE6FB4091.jpeg…

Can’t tell from the picture.

If you don’t think it is the right part when it is right in front of you, then go to another parts store or go to Nissan.

I don’t trust anything except things like oil and wax from Autozone.

2 Likes

The new axle looks like an O-type with an ABS pulse ring.

The old one looks like a C-type without.

Tester

So when I call for parts I should ask for a C-type axle shaft

No, you should have them search the part with your VIN. But I doubt AutoZone can get you the right part. Unless you did not tell them the correct information about your Nissan, you will get the very same part.

If you have the V-8 Pathfinder,
Looks like you need the axle shaft for an 04 Titan

Ok yeah I gave them the vin number and gave them the correct information about the vehicle. I told them it’s an all wheel drive 04 Nissan pathfinder se. v6. They said this is the only part that pops up.

How did you remove it??
After the wheel and drum was off,

A) Did you have to remove the rear diff cover, remove the spider pin, slide the axle in a little to remove the c-clip??
B) Or just unbolt the axle flange bolts/nuts and slide the axle out???

From the looks of the picture you have A and AZ gave you B…

I would try a Napa or Advance or O’Reilly auto parts… Try the dealer, but being a 2004 model it might be discontinued BUT they should have the OEM part number that most parts stores can cross reference or even Mr Google can find one somewhere…

If still no luck you might have to check Randy’s ring and pinion, Currie Enterprises, Strange engineering, Doctor Diff, and some others, they all specialize in differential parts…

This is what it has come to at Autozone. They used to have people that knew something about vehicles. Now they have computer dependent ignoramuses. I ran into the same thing recently with a rear control arm. I had looked it up before going and knew they had one. They just argued with me when it didn’t show up on “their” computer but their web site listed it along with inventory. I went to a different one and those guys found it instantly with my info provided. Look it up yourself on Rockauto, find the correct part number and then buy it from them or search on that number…

I went to O’Reilly’s a few years ago asking for a small bock Mopar header gaskets (because they have a selection of performance parts on display behind the counter on the end of the isles), should have seen the confusion on there faces… They kept asking for application and I kept telling them there never has been a year make model and engine for a SBM header gasket, ONLY engines… After a while I pointed to the selection on the end of the isle RIGHT BEHIND him and said their are the header gaskets, look for Mopar LA small block… He said ohhh…

Have you tried to install it, mate up w/the differential or whatever it fits to on the other end? The add’l gadget on the new one that looks like a gear is probably an ABS reluctor wheel, use w/ABS sensor to measure the wheel’s rotational speed. But maybe that axle design will work on both types, reluctor is just an unused part on your car is all. It sort of looks like the reluctor is going to interfere with something, but can’t say for sure just from the photos. In the second photo, I presume the (existing) axle has been partially removed, right?