Really AAMCO?!?...Really!

On my 2002 Sienna, whenever I think about it during my annual trip to the US, I drop 3 quarts and add back 3 quarts of transmission fluid. 185,000 miles on it and seems to shift smoothly. The service writer at the dealer says he almost never sees a bad transmission, though I realize most owners probably do not plan to drive a Sienna forever.

People here in Mexico don’t like automatics because they fail a lot. When I ask, they don’t even know about automatic transmission service. Heh, heh.

I don’t know much about automatics, but all the information I have seen indicates (except for certain Honda transmissions) keeping clean fluid in them and most transmissions will last almost forever.

I’m not certain that all transmissions are created equal. I maintained the transmission in my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass, but had problems around 125,000 miles. This was the GM TMS-200 transmission that was known for problems. I lost reverse gear on that transmission. I had a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 that I had transmission problems around 50,000 miles. I had the transmission serviced at 30,000 miles and these transmissions were supposedly very durable. A partial rebuild cost me about $700. Back in the 1950s, the GM Hydramatic was known to be a very rugged transmission. However, the Dynaflow transmissions on the 1955 Buick were quite troublesome. I have no idea about the reliability record of the transmission on the Chevrolet Astro.
I’m wondering in the case of the OP if there is more weight since this is a conversion Astro van. Also, perhaps the vehicle was used to tow some sort of trailer. My recommendation is that after the transmission is rebuilt to add an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler.

Computers are often a loss leader where the retail stores selling them are selling them below cost, often hundreds of dollars below cost when they are on sale and combined with coupons/rebates!

REALLY?? Because I NEVER buy from a retail chain near me. I can ALWAYS buy better on-line. Tiger Direct is just one discount shop that sells far far cheaper then places like Best Buy for the EXACT same product. And then there’s places like Dell’s outlet store.

Tanasha, just my $.02 worth, and I’ve never owned a Chevy (except the '78 Blazer my parents used to own several years ago), but call up your local dealer, and get a price from them on what they would charge to repair/replace the transmission in your minivan. My ex and I owned a '90-something Mercury Cougar. The head gaskets went at 100K, and then the transmission went at 107K. We called AAMCO. $2000 give or take was their quote. We called the local Ford/Mercury dealership: $1400 and change. I think Ford knew they had a problem with the transmission, but it never rose to the level of a recall, so they just told their dealers (all conjecture on my part by the way) that if someone came in with a screwed-up automatic to do the work for less than anyone else. Car ran great for the next several years.

Chevy may know that transmission was hosed up at the factor with some sort of defective parts. Give your local Chevy dealer a call and ask to speak to their service department. They may give you a better deal, and since they’re the dealer, they have a lot more riding on getting it right. But I’ll caution you. A friend’s 2000-something Chevy Tahoe had a transmission problem at 60,000. Seems Chevy needs to go back to school on building transmissions.

Good luck!

@irlandes : Right on! I bought my first automatic car, a 1965 Dodge Dart new and have owned 8 automatics since. Never broke one; the closest was a band replacement on 1971 Mercury Comet (C-4) in 1975, which cost $185!

Have changed fluid and filters religiously every 30,000 miles on all vehicles.

The transmission is the most neglected part of today’s cars, partly the manufacturer’s fault. On my wife’s new Mazda 3 there is no mention of transmission service in the manual.