Re-learning a manual transmission after 15+ years

So maybe I am the odd duck, never minded shifting to neutral while coming up to a stop sign, and using the brakes. I never was in a habit of downshifting. Slow pace on the interstate, slow gear shift into l low gear and keep up with the flow of traffic. Do not ride the clutch.

1 Like

Pedal either all the way down, all the way up, or in transition only when you’re ready to go. Holding at the friction point while stopped will pay for your mechanics next boat.

On an empty road or lot, practice letting the clutch out without touching the gas, generally it requires just a brief pause before letting it all the way up - this will teach both exactly where the friction point starts (helpful when under pressure) and also just how little you need to slip the clutch and how little you need to increase revs on a normal start. Learn to match speeds when shifting so the clutch isn’t being slipped.

Find a hill and practice parking brake starts, and practice some more. Once you’re good you no longer need to worry about rolling back into someone who’s crowding you from behind, and it saves wear from arresting roll back.

Limit how much you hold the pedal down as it’s working the release bearing then and they occasionally wear out. I shift to neutral at red lights, let the clutch up, and put it back down only when the other direction turns yellow.

No matter how much experience someone claims to have, don’t let anyone else drive it until you’ve observed their technique.

1 Like

db4690, I believe in California traffic fines are set by the state, so the fine for running a stop sign/red light is $470.00 (plus fees) whether you do it in Beverly Hills or in Fiddletown (yes, it’s as small as the name suggests).