Rattling noise near my belt when i have the a/c on or when i turn my steering wheel

I drive a 1999 Nissan Altima GXE and when i turn the a/c on or turn my steering wheel the car makes a rattling noise towards the belt. I have replaced the belt and i check all the electrical components that are runned on that belt. But i cant figure it out. I think its something to do with my pully system because my power steering/ac are runned on the same belt along with my alternator and other components. Any ideas on what to check.

maybe your belt tensioner?

Is it possible to idle the engine without that belt for a brief time anyway? If so, and the problem disappears, at least you know it is something on the belt path doing the rattling. Don’t try that obviously if there’s some critical component, like the water pump involved.

Sometimes you can use a length of old garden hose as a sort of stethoscope to narrow down the location of a sound. Might try that too.

I just put new power steering fluid and now ot only rattles when i use the ac. But that belt controls everything becaise i only have ome belt not two.

I recharged my ac system, check the compresser and the dryer etc and it is good. But still makes that rattling noises towards the belt when the ac is on.

Ill check the tension and look at the manual.

if the “rattling” noise comes and goes with the a/c being turned on and off, I have a strong feeling your compressor may be on its way out. That is how mine went dead. Started to make a grumbling sound each time the a/c is on and it took about 3-4 weeks and the thing gave up. The a/c worked just fine until it took its last breath.

The way it finally ended was that the compressor froze, the engine continuing to turn the belt over an a/c pulley that was frozen to the compressor. A 5 second high-pitch screech and the belt busted, keeping me stranded. It was my fault because I heard it coming but ignored it, thinking I can make it another day and another day and another day.

What I am saying is, take a close look/listening to your a/c and make sure it is not the cause of your rattle.

Okay ill re-check the a/c compressor. If that is the case ill get a new one.

I got the a/c compressor replaced and the noise went away. Silent as it can be, thank you so much. The noise from sterring is old and rough power sterring fluid. Its all replaced. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Congratulations on a job well done.
And I thank you sincerely for taking the time to let us know how you made out. We hang out here to try to help people (well, and for the occasionally strange garage humor!), and it’s always great to hear of a success. We rarely get the results.