My old Caravan has been parked (without a battery and not run) for a couple years in a woodsy part of my property. The plan was to buy a new battery for my other car and put the older battery in the Caravan so I could at least move it as needed. I laughed, then groaned, when I opened the hood ready to install the battery - there was a massive pile of sticks on top of the engine, a genuine rat’s nest. Thankfully, nobody was home.
It was easy enough to remove 3/4 of the mess, that filled a medium size garbage can. But the remainder is scattered everywhere, including underneath what I guess is called the intake manifold. It’s the V-6 3.3 liter engine.
The engine started with a little prodding, but I didn’t run it long for fear of something getting hot enough to ignite.
So how do I safely remove the woody material which is out of reach? I’m hesitant to use compressed air, thinking it might result in some stuff getting buried deeper. Vacuuming seems more logical - but I’ve heard often about the danger of using a shop vac around gasoline.
Can a vacuum be used safely in a case like this if the engine hasn’t run for a few days - meaning that any stray fumes would be long since evaporated and dissipated?
I’m risk averse, but also lazy, so I’m hoping for an easier solution than pulling pieces off the top of the engine. Is the vacuum safe… or suicidal?