Radiator Question

I have a Plymouth Voyager '96 which has a leak from the radiator (from the bottom) Can the radiator be welded?

Thank you for your help!

Steven

Maybe. It would depend on whether you’re dealing with copper, aluminum, or plastic. If you’re not sure, drive it to the radiator shop and have the welder inspect.

What is seen mostly today is that parts of the radiator plastic (ie where the cap is) and that of course can not be welded. The core itself I beleive may be made of aluminum so that could be dificult. You might be better off by going out and buying and after market radiator and having it installe by a trusted mechanic.

Please, first find out if it is the radiator that is leaking or maybe just a bad hose.

A 12 year old radiator is probably corroded through and through. Patch one place, and another will break through. It’s more viable to replace the radiator.

No fix of an old radiator will go unpunished.

Consider a replacement auto zone has them for around $120. an they are pretty easy to install.

Radiator leaks on 12 year old radiators mean the radiator needs replacing. Many years ago shops used to “core” radiators, back when parts were expensive and often unavailable and labor was cheap, but the days of repairing a radiator being cost effective are long past.

They may be inexpensive but they’re not that easy to replace in a '96.

Well, I call autozone and they want $265!!! I dropped the phone from the scared I got. I done all my mechanic repairs in all my cars all my life, so getting a radiator out on this van is a piece of cake since it is the 4 cylinders, lots of space to work in there. So I thought I could get that radiator out and welded, but not all radiators can be welded. On Saturday I will get the radiator out to see exactly were is is leaking from. (kind of strange, I can fill up the radiator, drive what ever distance just fine with traffic, traffic light stops and all, but whenever I stop, and turn the van off, then the leak starts and empties the radiator… very weird)

Any comments?

Many thanks

You probably have a radiator with plastic tanks and an aluminum core. There is a rubber gasket between the core and each tank and that is probably what is leaking. You could have a shop just replace the gasket, but I think you would be money ahead to just replace the radiator.

What is seen mostly today is that parts of the radiator plastic (ie where the cap is) and that of course can not be welded.

My S-15…the top and bottom of the radiator were plastic. Only the core was metal.

Also shop around. I’ve been able to get radiators for 1/2 the regular parts stores’ prices just by shopping.

The radiator leaks after you shut off the engine, you say. Is this immediately, or after a few minuets?
When an engine is shut down, there is a period known as “heat soak”. The engine coolant will absorb the heat from the very hot engine block. Since the coolant isn’t circulating, its temperature goes up, and its PRESSURE goes up.
The greater pressure and heat of the coolant could be enough to force that crack open in the radiator,and, OUT comes the coolant!
If you can repair the radiator, fine.

I checked out rockauto.com for a radiator for a 96 Plymouth Voyager, and there was none listed, however there are several listed for 96 dodge Caravans for slightly over $100.00.

I would do some research to find out if both Dodge, and Plymouth mini vans take the same radiator. If in fact they do then order it as a Dodge. You maybe getting a inflated price because Plymouth is a discontinued make.

oopsee i was giving ya the cost for our 90 ply grand voyger. I checked our 96 dodge an it has a larger radiatorthen our 90. Hope the Dodge one fits seems the parts are interchangalbe allot of the time.