Radar Sensor Theft

My Radar Sensor was stolen. I understand it took about 3 minutes to do this. I park on the street & a garage is a non starter. I understand these sensors are being stolen left & right. I went to the local car mechanic who could not put the protector on it they usually use bec he said in this car the sensor is too close to the A/C unit & there was a danger that when welding in the protector, a spark could hit the radiator.

Any ideas of how the sensor can be protected from thieves? Honda Insight Touring 2019

You might be able to use an Apple Air Tag. Never used one myself, but from what I understand it’s inexpensive, you attach it to whatever you don’t want lost, it communicates with any nearby cell phones, and since the cell phones know where they are, so they send the air tag location info to an internet server. If you know Air Tag ID number, you know where the Air Tag is located.

I think the anti-theft strategy is to hide it on the object.

1 Like

I assume the sensor is rather small and an air tag would be pretty obvious. Maybe just leave it off or change the mounting location and be happy they didn’t take the converter.

Now these air tags can and are used to track people, so if you don’t want someone to know where you are like an ex, best check for them while checking for ticks.

It’s a good idea. The airtags must be within blutooth wideband range, about 100 meters in normal conditions, from a blutooth wideband capable and Internet connected Apple device such as an iPhone. Airtags have been designed so that they advertise their presence to anyone, so the thief can discover it easily if she checks for it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that the radar sensor is “tuned” for its factory-installed location, and would not function properly if its mounting location was altered.

Was this a sensor for an aftermarket radar detector? Otherwise the mechanic’s comments don’t make sense.

I think this sensor was for the active cruise control that maintains a set distance from vehicles ahead of you.

All tracking devices can be used that way. I think LoJack could be used to track your movement too. A lot of people aren’t bothered by it. My daughter has Alexa and Alphabet listens in occasionally for QA purposes. I don’t want one, but there are thousands that do despite the unwanted monitoring aspects.

That is also my interpretation, but we need clarification from the OP.
Additionally, those sensors can be used to activate Automatic Emergency Braking in vehicles that are so-equipped, and I really doubt if either of those systems would function properly–if at all–if someone decided on an alternate location for the sensor.

I now think it is, too. It must be accessible without having to open the hood. I wonder if tamper-resistant fasteners would help?

Maybe you could tape a catalytic converter to your grill so the thieves won’t steal the radar unit!

1 Like

Just to continue this strange question, why would anyone steal this? Then after replacement, why would someone come back and steal another one? Something unknown about these that makes them valuable? Then how could you weld something like that to the mounting? Then I don’t believe 134a is flammable so the whole comment is moot.

Finally if all of this makes sense, it should be possible to alter the method of fastening it, which is what I’m suggesting. I kinda think though the mechanic was either dumb or blowing the issue off as nonsense.

T

Right now stealing a catalytic converter in Virginia is a misdemeanor, punishable with a fine. The legislature just passed a law and it is awaiting the governor’s signature to make it a Class 6 felony, which is punishable by up to five years in prison.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?221+cab+SC10311HB0740+BC

My son was at a Walmart on a weekday, in the late afternoon, when he came out and saw two guys crawling under his Ram Promaster work van. Luckily, he’s not stupid, he knew they could be armed and there were two that he saw so he started yelling getting lots of attention and they quickly rolled out the far side and hopped into a waiting car on the far side of his van, it was driven by a third person and it took off. He could only offer a description of the car, but no plate number.

After this, he took his van to a welding shop and had a steel cover welded in place. Steel plates on the sides but several layers of chain link fencing across the base to allow the heat to escape.

He knows this is not foolproof, but these types of thieves are opportunist and probably do not want to waste a lot time trying to get past the chain link and the steel plates make getting a reciprocating saw in there very difficult…

I applaud this type of legislature…

It would be tempting to sneak over, jump in, and drive away!

when he came out and saw two guys crawling under his Ram Promaster work van. Luckily, he’s not stupid, he knew they could be armed and there were two that he saw so he started yelling getting lots of attention

That would have been a good time to have a remote start. :grinning:

3 Likes

If I remember the case correctly, an armed victim in St. Paul shot a guy trying to steal his cat. The victim was in trouble for excessive force when it was not self defense. So a thousand dollar cat may cost you $20,000 in legal fees. Still might be worth it.

Interesting that my iPad changed the spelling of defense to the European spelling defence.

Or one of those cars that back out of a space for you! :rage:

1 Like

Six of one, half dozen of the other.