Quick-change oil companies?

I had one instance of my new car having a problem starting since Ive had it for one year. The Hyundai dealer says this may be because I got my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. The dealership says they use special tools, parts, and torque, when they change the oil, and recommend never going to a quick-change place. Can this be true that getting my oil changed at Jiffy Lube can cause such a big problem?

having your oil changed would not be a cause for the car to not start. however… quick lube places have a serious reputation for either NOT putting in oil pan plugs, not tightening them, not putting oil in, or putting in the wrong oil. these items would not make your engine ‘hard to start’ but would actually lead to the death of your engine. that would be a totally different topic altogether.

think carefully about what the dealership guy said. he didnt say your warranty was voided by going elsewhere for an oil change did he? he didnt say you ‘had’ to use Hyundai did he? he carefully worded his comments that ‘only hyundai’ knows how to change oil! the dealership is trying to scare you into using them for all maintenance (even routine) for your car.

Jiffy Lube changing the oil has nothing to do with your car being hard to start periodically.

They may have everything to do with your engine not starting once due to lack of oil in the crankcase.

Stop going to Jiffy Lube, and you might consider using another dealer. I avoid any business that talks down to me. Good luck.

We generally recommend not using dealer or fast oil change places for maintenance. Dealers are no better than independent mechanics, but cost more and fast oil change places tend to be incompetent and like dealers tend to push products and services that have little or no value and are not needed.

Dealers are not necessarily more expensive than independent mechanics, and they do not all push superfluous services. If I use the coupons that my dealer sends out, an oil change is actually very reasonable in cost–$29.95 at this point. I have never been pressured to have anything more done than exactly what I requested. And, if I make an appointment, my oil change is done in 30 minutes, while I wait.

That being said, I’m sure that many dealers do charge more and/or push services that are not needed. The OP needs to assess the cost/benefit ratio of servicing at his dealership vs what the situation might be at other service facilities in his area.

However, as has already been stated, the failure of his car to start is not likely to have anything to do with an oil change at Jiffy Lube, even though I would not recommend patronizing Jiffy Lube or any of its clones. The potential problems from using a quick oil change place are far worse than the starting problem that is alleged to have resulted from using Jiffy Lube.

One of the things to watch out for when getting an oil change is the brand of the oil filters that are used. While any name-brand filter is probably ok, quick oil change places (and some indepependent mechanics) use “white box” oil filters that are not branded, are made in China, and may or may not meet the necessary filtration specifications. At a dealership, you will only receive the genuine OEM filter.

Having worked at several dealerships, I sometimes wonder how much more reliable they are than fast lube places when it comes to oil changes. At dealers they like to give straight oil changes to the young guys just out of tech school, it seems. I’m not knocking younger mechanics; some of these young guys are wizzes. It takes time, though, for a new wrench to develop their work habits to where they don’t forget the crucial stuff.

At the last dealer I worked at there was a guy who had a mental block about tightening the oil drain plug. People would call up days after he had changed their oil & say they had drops on the garage floor. the drain plug was always finger tight. You guessed it one day one of 'em fell out & goodbye engine.

Then they had a guy out of vo-tech who forgot once to put oil back in, & another time left the oil fill cap off. Both times the engine went.

In the '90s at the Chrysler dealer I worked at young mechanic was in such a rush to get over & take 10 AM break with his buddies he backed an oil change waiter out without putting oil in.

These are just true anecdotes that don’t prove anything but might indicate that there’s other places besides fast lube places that can screw up an oil change.

You might define what you mean by not starting. Battery appear to be weak, engine cranks over fine but will not start, starts and then stumbles and dies, or what?
At the dealer you’re also conversing with a service writer and very very few of these people have a mechanical clue at all so take that statement they gave you with a grain of salt.

A proper oil change at JL will not cause a starting problem with one exception. That would be if there was a problem with the oil change involving the oil being left out or whatever and the engine suffered some damage because of this.

As to whether the dealer is better for the oil change, that also depends on their system.
Some dealers use a young lube tech or trainee to do this kind of stuff and if he’s not focused on the job at hand could make a mistake as easily as anyone; and especially so if he’s constantly being interrupted by this person or that.
At all of the dealers I’ve worked for the regular mechanics did the oil changes; earning that whopping .2 flat rate hours. :frowning:

I made the original post of this question. I thought I might explain more specifically the problem I had starting the car. Im retired and dont drive the car much, and it is kept in a garage all the time, and well maintained. When I turned the key to start the car, it just kept trying to start but wouldnt. There was no problem with the battery etc. As I said the 2009 Hyundai Sonata was only one year old. I havent had the problem again, but Ive been getting the car serviced at the Hyundai dealer where I bought it.