Questionable noise in Miata

This is going to be tough. I am not sure if i can describe the sound and symptoms but here goes!!

A couple of months ago my car started making a noise that I can only describe as growling! It’s not a grinding (like gears) and it is not a rubbing sound. It doesn’t happen all the time and when it does it happens less when the car is warmed up. I mean like an hour of driving.

Sometimes it makes the sound when I am sitting still, sometimes when I am driving, sometimes when I just touch the shifter it stops and if it is not making the noise and I touch the shifter it starts!! I can’t really give an exact on anything and thus the reason I am writing you guys. I think you may be able to help me without spending thousands of dollars for diagnostics.

Please help!!

I am going to guess it is something in the shifter linkage. Does it sound like it may be coming from that area of the shifter? As I recall it is not difficult to get that boot off the shifter lever and to access the linkage there. Checking for something loose or in need of lube would be my first step. (I am assuming you have a manual transmission).

Good Luck.

Thanks, I will try that today and let you know how I made out!

Still growling.I want to exhaust everything before I take it to the garage. Thanks for your help.