Question regarding cracked oil pipe

I had my car serviced last Friday, which included an oil change, and yesterday, 3 days later, I have a cracked oil pipe. Can the two be related or is it just an unlucky coinicidence?

What “pipe” are we talking about here?

Oil pipe?

Make, model, year? Location of “oil pipe”?

Please elaborate on your question including the year, make, model, engine size and mileage of your vehicle. Be more specific about your oil pipe as this is a generic term.

I seem to remember something about certain Lexus V6 engines developing a leak at an oil feed tube at the rear of one of the cylinder heads, but without more info about your car and the specific problem I don’t think we can be much help.

Thank you all for your help! It is a 2008 Lexus RX 350, V6 with approx. 80,000 miles. The service dept. told me that it is a “rubber hose that is being changed out for a metal pipe”. More specifically they said it is the “front oil pipe” its location is “Oil cooler line to engine into oil cooler and recirculated back to engine”. Does this help?

It is a 2008 Lexus RX 350, V6 with approx. 80,000 miles. The service dept. told me that it is a “rubber hose that is being changed out for a metal pipe”. More specifically they said it is the “front oil pipe” its location is “Oil cooler line to engine into oil cooler and recirculated back to engine”.

That line was the subject of… Well, not a recall, because that wouldn’t have an end date, but Toyota did offer to fix it for free because it was defective. Catch is, you had to bring it in before April of last year to get the free replacement. You might try pointing this out to the service department at the dealership - they might throw you a bone and do it for a discounted rate if not free, since it’s Toyota’s fault.

At any rate, it’s unlikely that the oil change caused it, as it’s caused by a bad part that degrades over time. At the most, someone brushed up against it while working under the car, and that was the final straw in an already almost-dead part.

You should definitely get this fixed right away, however, as if the crack worsens you can dump all your oil very quickly and then you’re in it for a replacement engine.

This is most helpful. Thank you very much.

Is the oil supply hose for the VVT-i actuator the same or different from the oil cooler line?

It should be different, but it’s connected to the same oil system. Why?