Question about transmissions

Belive me I went to google first. Though google does provide excellent answers, it was just too hard to get specific questions answered. Google have good explanations on how each individual item worked such as how an auto transmission works, how a torque converter works and etc but it was hard to find how these components worked in relation to one another. That was really what I’m looking for and these guys did a great job.

Glad you got some good info. I found this one had good descriptions: http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm#Transmission Components

Because you’re stepping on the brakes, the fluid isn’t able to overpower the friction of the brake pads because the engine is at idle which means the input shaft “fan” isn’t pushing the fluid very fast. Once you let off the brake, the car rolls forward because now the fluid is able to turn the output shaft’s “fan” (more properly “impeller”) which turns the wheels.

The liquid coupling is necessary (in these kinds of automatics) in order to allow the input shaft to spin independently of the output shaft to prevent stalls.

Paperclip-9, you asked where you could learn more about cars.Fortunately, now there is access to info on the computer.Also schools that train in modern technology. If you like tearing stuff apart, get a junker donated to you {with title] . Tear the whole car apart, then sell it as scrap metal when you are done.
As you have probably learned from this thread, working on cars is complicated. When parents ask me how their 'slow’learning child can get into auto mechanics,I tell them to have their child take mechanical and electrical engineering courses.
As far as making money at it, the average mechanic in the USA makes $36,000 a year according to the US Labor Board. I don’t know of any mechanic 'living large 'on waterfront property.Honesty and pride in your work will give you a sense of satisfaction