Question about air injection

1999 Suburban with 5.7L V8. Cleared a P0410 code (secondary air injection system failure) before smog check. Failed smog check because diagnostics weren’t complete. Took it to dealer. He found shorted air pump and blown fuse. Replaced both and cleared codes. Drove for about a week and 150 miles. Smog check passes. Get gas after smog check, drive away, CEL light comes on. Reseated fuel cap (2006 Trailblazer had this problem for a while). Light doesn’t clear. Back to dealer. He found the secondary air injection shutoff valve damaged and the solenoid would not actuate either. GM has discontinued this part with NO replacement available. Dealer tech managed to clean up solenoid and glue the housing back together. Cleared codes. So far, so good.

My problem is: What do I do if this shows up again? I can’t get a replacement for the valve (was a dealer only part) and I can’t pass a smog check with the CEL light on or the code showing. Even if I don’t need to get a smog check right away, I really don’t like driving with the CEL light on.

Any ideas?

Put some black tape over the light and start looking for the parts you need in a salvage yard. Google “Used Chevy Parts” and use the internet to do a nationwide parts search.

A clever mechanic can spoof the sensor signal from the smog-pump/solenoid so the ECM is happy and the CEL stays off if your other options fail…

There’s a lot of stuff listed on eBay. You might do a search there and see if something fits the bill.

Kind of ironic. Every day countless millions of vehicle owners are having to create pollution, burn fuel, and waste an inordinate amount of time and cash wrestling with engine control issues in the attempt to prevent pollution and save fuel.

There’a lot to be said for a flathead with a one-barrel.
:wink:

There’a lot to be said for a flathead with a one-barrel.
:wink:

Hmmn…

Probably not clean, efficient, powerful, reliable, or self adjusting.
Carb may work fine when its set up for one altitude, but when you have to regularly travel from 5k feet to 13k feet like I do, you don’t want carbs involved, for any reason.

BC.