PVC valve changed

After changing my PVC valve on my Honda it doesn’t burn as much oil and I don’t have any oil leaks anymore. Should I still be concern? Because there was a leak. I bought the car used so I don’t really know if it’s ever been changed

Nope, you are good to go. We rarely get people that are concerned when something actually gets fixed!

2 Likes

the PCV allows the crankcase to vent.

If the PCV valve is plugged, the crankcase will build pressure and push oil out of seals/past piston rings burning oil.

Be happy the new PCV valve fixed the oil leaks and oil burning.

Tester

2 Likes

It’s possible that a clogged PCV valve caused your leaks and oil burning. If it runs OK now, keep a careful eye on the oil level, fuel consumption, radiator coolant, etc., and drive it. You’ll learn what’s working and not working soon enough. Just be sure to bring a quart of oil or two with you, along with a rag and a flashlight.

1 Like

Thanks. I was kind of worried.

1 Like

I have seen similar situations where replacement of the PCV valve drastically reduced oil consumption, so the OP should probably rest easy in regard to oil consumption.

However, in regard to…

… think about this for a second…If you don’t have service records verifying when (if ever) the PCV valve was changed, then you likely don’t have service records for other types of preventive maintenance. If I am correct that you have no service records for this car, then you have to assume that NONE of its required maintenance was ever done.

My strong suggestion is to have the major service (30k, 60k, 90k, 120k, etc.) that is closest to the car’s current odometer mileage performed. This will likely entail replacement of every filter, as well as the spark plugs, and it may entail flushing the brake hydraulic fluid and changing the trans fluid.

Trust me…the cost of preventive maintenance is invariably cheaper than the cost of repairs that result from lack of maintenance.
:thinking:

3 Likes

If it’s made of PVC, it’s probably melted.

1 Like