Purchase advise

Back in 1977, I bought a 1 owner 1948 Dodge with about 60,000 miles to restore. I had it running well, but the body work would have been expensive. I only had an open carport at the time. I was driving the car and someone pulled up along side me at a stop sign and asked what I would take for the car. I named a price $100 more than I paid. He followed.me home and bought the car. I had owned the car about 8 years and was glad to get rid of it.
In 1978, I bought a new Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with the 4-4-2 trim package. I got a good price because it only had the 260.V8 engine and had an automatic transmission. In other words, it was a fake 4-4-2. I got a very good price because the dealer couldn’t sell the car. I drove the car for 33 years and 240,000 miles. I thought about restoring the car, but after looking at what it would be worth after restoration, I sold the car for $500.
Now I realize that a 1957 Plymouth Fury was a special model with its 318 cubic inch V8 and came only in white with gold trim bands on the side, but it would cost a fortune to restore and I don’t think you would have much more than a 1957! Plymouth when the work is done.

so this car may really be haunted. Christine 2

1 Like

I always liked the 57 and 58’s but they earned the reputation of being rust buckets as Boyd Codington found out. There was a good article in Hemmings Classic Cars this month about what costs to expect on restoring a car. So if you’ve got an extra $100,000 you don’t know what to do with, that would be a start. Might be ok for parts.

You need to read the book “Christine”, I can not understand how many of you failed to get that the original post is humorous.

1 Like

Your friend is correct.

His friend manages to get Christine into a crusher, movie ends with Christine’s radio beginning to play from the remains.

That’s an obscure joke, without reading the book it’s not obvious. I’ve seen bits of the movie, didn’t ring a bell.

In the book she comes back to life and seeks out revenge.

All very spooky, good enough.

What part of the country is the car located?

If it needs much body work and interior work, pass on it. After a mild restoration that turns it into a driver, it’s worth about $25,000. You could easily spend that and more on body work and that awful interior you say it has. All the rubber needs to be replaced, and you will likely have problems finding parts for a 65 year old car. If that doesn’t bother you, and you want a hobby, go for it.

A friend of my brother bought a '58 Chrysler when it was about 2 years old. It looked good from a distance, but a few weeks after he bought it BOTH of the front torsion bars snapped while he was crossing RR tracks. And, the '58s were–supposedly–improved somewhat after the incredibly bad '57 models.

My cousin had a '57 Chrysler, and after 3 years, the rusted away portion of the floor pan created a hole in the floor that was amazingly large. If he hadn’t crashed the car into a cemetery following a night of drunken debauchery, I am pretty sure that the entire car would have dissolved into a giant mass of rust.

In addition to the vibration problem, if you had passengers in the rear seat, it was impossible to see what was behind you with that mirror. I think that in the '57-'60 era, Chrysler did a lot of things just to be different, not because these things were practical.

I recall that in addition to those weird mirrors, my uncle’s New Yorker (or maybe it was his Imperial…) had the directional signal lever mounted on the dashboard, instead of on the steering column. Yes, that was different, but not better.

This guy served, which is more than I did

So he’s worthy of at least a minimum of respect

Even if you don’t buy the car

The guy was at least chargeable for involuntary manslaughter of his daughter. He permitted or was wittingly permissive of his wife committing suicide following the death of his daughter. And, perhaps most egregiously, allowed a very desirable classic auto to rust away while listening to 1950s style go-go music. Respect? Come on man.

So this whole thing was a joke, right? I’m not finding the humor in it.

3 Likes

I am. and that’s what is most important.

Fiction story but it is the wrong car, in the book the car was a 4 door 1958 Plymouth.

2 Likes

It can be done, but doing it would be a huge & very time consuming job. Especially using a rented shop, unless you didn’t have a job, retired, out of work etc, and could dedicate 40-50 hours each week on the job for 6 months. It would be very easy to start on a project like this, get tired of the monotonous, tedious work, and eventually stop. Many, many projects like this start with good intension, but end by the owner either junking or selling the partly finished car on to somebody else. The advice above to forget-about-it is solid common sense. However, if you are determined, the first step is to get a pro assessment on the amount & severity of rust problems you’ll have to deal with. If there’s significant structural rust, that’s usually a show stopper.

If you can find which Car Talk episode it was, Ray and Tom discuss a similar problem with one of their callers. I believe the caller had a 1970 MGB-GT partially restored, had been sitting in their garage for some time, not being worked on b/c of other time commitments. The wife was complaining about it taking up space, and insisting either the caller finish the work, or get rid of the car. Tom and Ray’s advice, after discussing the pro’s and con’s with the caller, was to get rid of the car.

George, there is no car, the OP has just been pulling our leg.

@cdaquila - any chance we can lock this pointless discussion?

4 Likes

There is a third option, I still have my Plymouth and there in no one complaining about it.

1 Like