PT Cruiser getting poor mileage on premium gas

A while back an 83 year old woman called complaining about the fuel mileage in her new PT Cruiser. She further complained that the dealer told her to use premium gas. Sorry to say, guys, your answer seems tio be Bo o Gus.

You should have asked her if the letters GT were on the back of the car.

The PT Cruiser GT has a turbocharged engine and requires 91 octane fuel.

And burns more gas than a standard PT.

Her 90 year old boyfriend really is a sport!

You’ve pointed out something the car makers, also, have Technical Service Bulletins about: Many cars/trucks run WORSE with higher than recommended octane gasoline. The dealer should have known better!

My wife and I own a yellow 2006 PT Cruiser. This is the Route 66 special edition. This is the only yellow cruiser in 2006. Here is an important item to check. The tires are special to this specific model and take much more air than regular tires. Most mechanics just automatically fill tires to 32psi as this is about normal for any average car. These tires are low-profile tires and take 45psi! When we got out car, the milage was very mediocre and then I checked the tires and the sticker on the door. The guy at the dealership in charge of car prep had set them at 32psi. Once I put the tire pressure where it belonged, things like handling and milage improved dramatically.

I think that if you look at the tire sidewall it says “maximum 45 psi”. That is NOT the air pressure recommended by the truck maker. Look in the Owner’s Handbook, again.

Re: Hellokit’s reply. Nope–manual and door sticker (not the tire sidewall) both say 45psi for those low profile tires they put on the Route 66 Pt Cruisers. If you underinflate them, they will not hold up when you hit a pothole and you will damage your very expensive alloy rim not to mention get lousy gas milage, handle poorly, etc etc.

We’re always telling people, “READ THE DOG-GONE Handbook, or manual!” In the Owner’s Handbook, is information which is NOWHERE else! /// Things change. At the bicycle shop, I learned that some of the newer bicycles have tubeless tires and run 125 psi tire air pressure! By George!