PS Fluid exchanging in G3

I am planning to use a syringe - oil is not blackish - so just a minor touch I wanted to do.

I wanted to lift the front and turn knock to knock too.

Should be worried about potentially damaging an expensive PS unit by this mtd? Because a smart but cautious m/c (friend - not a professional m/c) and my partner warns me. Mechanic advised against knock to knock - but do it every week that fluid would have circulated. But I might be removing the fluid that I just put in a week ago!

Any thoughts?

Learn to read your post to see if it is comprehensible.

It is comprehensible enough (except for the m/c reference) to understand the OP wants to replace some of the power steering fluid using the turkey baster method.

We have often recommended this method in this forum. You may proceed without concern. You will not damage anything. The technique you described is quite sound.

Yes, drain and refill the reservoir a few times once a week and drive normally.
No need to turn the wheel lock to lock. And definitely do not run the motor with the reservoir empty.

Just syringe what you can out of the reservoir, refill, drive normally for a day or two, and repeat until you are satisfied with the results.

By the way, I deciphered the following: knock to knock = lock to lock, mtd = method, best guess on m/c is mechanic, and have no idea what a G3 is. Never heard of one if it’s a vehicle (closest I have heard of is Infiniti G35/37 and Pontiac G5/G6/G8).

What is “knock to knock?”

Fire bad!!!

Bread good.

Mark, there actually was a Pontiac G3. According to Edmunds:
“The five-door Pontiac G3 subcompact hatchback enjoys the dubious distinction of being the shortest-lived Pontiac model of all time. It debuted for 2009 and GM went bankrupt shortly thereafter, necessitating the discontinuation of the Pontiac brand. If you’re interested in a G3 (though frankly we’re not sure why you would be), keep in mind that the car of which it is a clone, the Chevy Aveo, continued to be produced after '09.”

Remove the return line on the resevoir, raise the front end as you planned, turn the wheel from lock to lock without the engine running. This will empty most of the fluid from the system.

This is the fill and bleed procedure from GM …

Caution: When adding fluid or making a complete fluid change, always use a power steering fluid meeting GM Spec. No. 9985010 or equivalent. Fluid for cold climates is also available through GM Dealerships; refer to Specifications for further information. Failure to use the proper power steering fluid can cause power steering hose and seal damage, fluid leaks and pump failure.

Turn the wheels all the way to the left and add the power steering fluid to the MIN mark on the fluid level indicator.
Start the engine. With the engine running at fast idle, recheck the fluid level. If necessary, add fluid to bring the level up to the MIN mark.
Bleed the system by turning the wheels from side to side without reaching the stop at either end. Keep the fluid level at the MIN mark. The air must be eliminated from the fluid before normal steering action can be obtained.
Return the wheels to the center position. Continue running the engine for 2-3 minutes.
Road test the car to be sure the steering functions normally and is free from noise.
Recheck the fluid level. Ensure the fluid level is at the MAX mark after the system has stabilized at its normal operating temperature. Add fluid if necessary.