Proper coolant level

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE. The factory coolant is pink. The coolant level is right on Low mark when engine is cold, and when engine is warm, it’s between Low and Full mark on the reservoir. Should the coolant level be between Low and Full when the engine is cold?

Can I use this Toyota coolant on my RAV4?

If you are in doubt and asking complete strangers on the internet why not just go to the dealer and purchase the proper antifreeze and then you have nothing to worry about.

We have Amazon Prime but would never even think of getting antifreeze that way. Besides it seems AutoZone or O’riellys have similar products at a lower price.

A dealer is going to sell you the manufacturers recommended coolant, the same on that came in your vehicle originally, so you can’t go wrong. If you are still under warranty, the dealer should bring the coolant level up to optimum free gratis. They may do that for you even if the warranty is over. It will only take a cup or two of coolant to reach the max when hot.

However, you do not have a problem. Your coolant level is just fine as long as the coolant level in the reservoir does not go below the low line when hot.

Your cooling system has about 6-8 quarts of coolant in it. You can add a cup or two of distilled water to the reservoir and it will not have a significant effect on the overall performance of the system. The premix protects down to 34 degrees below zero, one cup of distilled water probably wont change that by more than a degree or two.

If you are just not comfortable with that, or just leaving it where it is, you may find that the dealer may actually sell the coolant below Amazon’s price. You can call them to see. That would be a smart business decision.

I don’t think it is an issue to use a universal long life coolant, especially for just a top off. They sell for about half the cost of a manufacturer specific coolant, but if your not comfortable with that, OK. Your money, your vehicle, your responsibility and you have to sleep with your decision. And its less than the cost of a tank of gas so cost isn’t that much of a factor when you put it in that perspective.

Like I said before, I have a gallon of Acura coolant that I bought back in 2008. I had to get a new gallon the other day because the old one sprung a leak and lost most of it on the shelf. I paid $20. What would I have saved by spending $12 at AutoZone instead, compared to the cost of the car?

The coolant that you selected, Toyota Long life coolant (red in color) is for the old vehicles, your vehicle uses Super long life coolant, pink in color.

With the coolant level in the reservoir at the add mark there is no need for immediate action, the can be topped off at the next service.

Interesting that the picture of the jug on Amazon shows “Super Long Life.”

I looked it up on line (duh) and Toyota identified that part number matching the super long life coolant. The Amazon vendor misidentified it as long life coolant.

“This image is broken” is what I see, I didn’t click on the link. Yes P/N 00272-SLLC2 is Super Long Life coolant.

That sounds perfect.

When the engine warms to full operating temp, the coolant expands. The added volume pushes coolant into the reservoir, pushing the level up toward the higher marking. When the engine cools again, the coolant contracts, drawing coolant back into the engine. The level with the cool coolant should be at the COLD mark.

You can add some if it makes you feel more comfortable, but if you do I urge you to use only the approved coolant from Toyota. Using other than the exact fluids for coolants and/or transmission fluids is, I believe, not worth the risk.

1 Like

I agree, the coolant level needs no adjustment.