Problems with my transmission which was just rebuilt 8 months ago

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus. We had an $1800 rebuilt transmission put in 8 months ago and it’s already giving us problems! The engine light has also been on. We took it to autozone and multiple codes came up. We’ve already put way too much money into this piece of shit and I don’t want to get screwed by another mechanic! Where do we go from here? Is there anything we can fix ourselves?
The codes are p0300, p0301, p0305, p0316

First, you need to post the exact codes: example P1234. No one can help diagnose what the codes mean without having them posted.
Secondly, did the mechanic warrant the rebuild? If so, if the AT is still in warranty, it should be repaired by him under the conditions of the warranty.
Finally, keep in mind that you may have other issues to deal with than the AT. The codes may reveal other issues.

Sorry. The codes are p0300, p0301, p0305, and p0316

Also the transmission is under warranty but we are reluctant to take it back there because of other issues we’ve had with this mechanic

@smillerbrun read pages 8 - 11

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM508.pdf

In any cases you have misfires, specifically on cylinder 1 and 5.
This shouldn’t have anything to do with the transmission rebuild, unless the shop somehow damaged the wiring harness or left something partially unplugged.

How many miles?
What engine?
Perhaps it’s just time for plugs and a tune-up.

+1 to db4690’s comments.

Since those codes all relate to engine misfires, this car may simply be the victim of poor maintenance, and IMHO, the codes have nothing to do with the transmission overhaul.

Check out this Taurus Car Club link on how to diagnose misfire http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/173490-how-understand-diagnose-misfires.html

I also agree, I doubt the misfires codes are directly related to the transmission replacement. I suppose I could come up with a scenario where the ignition coil was damaged while suspending the engine from the fenders or something like that, but you would have noticed a problem immediately, not 8 months later.

If you want to try something yourself, try a tune-up with new spark plugs, wires if it has them, and new coil or coils for the affected cylinders.

I don’t know how many times I’ve had people think they had a tranny issue when it was the engine misfiring like yours. It’s not going to run right with those codes. You have TRANSMISSION on your mind because you just spent big bucks on one. I don’t think you have a bad tranny, but you do have multiple misifires. It could be the plugs, plug wires or (less likely) the coil pack. Find a good mechanic in your area by clicking on MECHANICS FILES in the gray bar at the top of this page. You can replace all of those yourself with a little talent, but it would be nice to know which one is causing the issue before you start throwing unneeded parts at it.

Thank you so much everyone!!..the reason i thought it was the tranny was because it’s having trouble switching gears!! Could that also be bc of the engine codes??

If your engine is misfiring, it is not functioning normally, and will produce less power and will run/idle roughly. And, the longer that you ignore the problem, the higher the likelihood that you will wind up damaging the expensive catalytic converter.

Additionally, because the engine’s electronic management system interacts with the transmission’s electronic management system, these engine problems will cause the transmission to function poorly.

The bottom line is that your engine needs maintenance, and ignoring this necessity is an example of very poor priorities, as the problems will only grow in intensity and in expense.

With multiple misfires also check for vacuum leaks, not just vacuum lines but the devices that are connected to them.