Problem

when i did the finger thing i had the distributor out completely to make sure it got lined up and then put it back in with the rotor pointing to number one. i think the cap is all lined up right with the wires thats the way i took them off the other cap.

Ok, that sounds good. Try moving the disty while cranking the engine. If the valve timing is ok, fuel is getting to the plugs and you have spark, you should be able to get it going using that trick.

To set the distributor, you put your finger over #1 spark plug hole to detect when #1 comes up on TDC (top dead center), compression stroke. Then, to be more precise, stick a straw into the spark plug hole and let it rest on top of the piston. Slowly rotate the engine until the straw stops rising. This will dead-on TDC. Rotate the distributor until corner of the rotor tip just comes to the #1 spark plug wire position. Put everything back together, but, leave the distributor hold down bolt loose.
As someone cranks the engine to start, turn the distributor back and forth about a quarter inch. If it starts, put a timing light on it, and fine-tune the ignition timing.

It seems that he doesn’t know how to adjust the valves. They may be too tight or too loose. It seems that he has covered all other bases.