Prius idiot lights

Hi, I just inherited my mom’s 2012 Prius. The dashboard message said “Maintenance required soon.” Now it says “Maintenance required.” My brother -in-law owns a Prius. He said that means I need an oil change. Really? Why can’t the message be “Oil Change Required”? Are Prius messages really this vague?
Thanks

And how do you know that your brother in law knows anymore than your father in law that gave you poor advice in the past. Just take the Prius in for service ( Being a Prius dealer might be best ) and see what is really needed as they are nor somple vehicles.

If you have the pwners manual you should at least read the service parts.

1 Like

Well, I think it would be much more accurate to state that it needs at least an oil change. Very few maintenance intervals involve just an oil change, and whatever maintenance interval (odometer mileage and/or elapsed time) this 11 year old car has reached could involve MUCH more than simply changing oil.

+1
I’m pretty sure that the OP’s car has a separate booklet detailing the maintenance procedures, but–all the same–this would be an excellent opportunity for him to take that booklet out of the glovebox, and see what specific maintenance items are now called-for, based on the odometer mileage and on the basis of elapsed time.

Time to get out the maintenance schedule and all the service records, and decide for yourself exactly what work is needed to bring this 10 year old car up to date on all its service needs. Who knows if they were done correctly in the past.

This should be done any time anybody acquires a used car.

1 Like

Additionally, the OP should be aware that there may be some maintenance recommended by the dealership that might not be listed in the mfr’s maintenance schedule. For instance, the brake fluid should be flushed every 3 years.

Does the maintenance schedule list this procedure?
I don’t know for sure.
Did the previous owner have the brake fluid flushed w/in the past 3 years?
The OP won’t know unless he pores over the pile of maintenance receipts that (hopefully) came with the car.

True. And at 10 years old, I’d want every fluid changed if it hasn’t been already. Find a good independent shop that will use the correct fluids, or pay extra to have the dealer do it. NO quicky-lube shops!

3 Likes

Tester

Maintenance required is not an idiot light. Don’t put yourself down. Let others do it for you.

1 Like

It only becomes an idiot light if someone is idiotic enough to ignore it, and to fail to perform the required maintenance.

1 Like

It is the oil change reminder only on older Toyota’s. Easy to reset if you look up the procedure.

Every other maintenance visit involves an oil change, “Maintenance Required” covers all maintenance visits. The maintenance needed now depends on the current mileage and the time since the last oil change.

Check the glove box and trunk for the owner’s manual and warranty/maintenance manual. You can find out what the maintenance required light means at your current mileage. If you can’t find them you can download them from Toyota. Here’s the link.

I have heard that to prevent gas engine wear, Prius and other Toyota hybrids
need oil changes about twice as often as Toyota recomments.

1 Like

Why? The engine runs less, and much less at idle.

I have to say that I have never had this message appear on any of my cars. When I change oil I reset the oil life monitor. There are some messages though that require the dealer to use their computer to reset. When I’m at the dealer I tell them I already change the air filters so just reset the computer. I don’t know if they do or not but like said have never had the message for things like filters or brake fluid. I suspect it is simply for an oil change but check the manual and it should tell you how to see the life remaining and how to reset it.

Partly depends on the display technology. Some dashboard messages may be built into the screen itself, illuminated by just one bulb. Others may be written onto a screen similar to how computer displays work. More flexibility for message content w/the latter. If the latter, seems reasonable to question why Toyota’s computer doesn’t provide more details about what maintenance exactly is required.

The message is set to pop up at 5,000mi intervals. Toyota changed the oil change interval starting with the 2010 model year Prius my mother has to 10,000mi.

Our mechanic has never completely trusted that interval and has changed the oil every 5,000-7,000mi with all services done more on a time basis than miles. Have the oil changed and while they’re at it just check the Prius from front to back. Mom’s 2010 is serviced at the same independent shop she’s used for the last 30yrs,

1 Like