Price of Timing Belt Repair?

Recently into the repair shop for an oil change. They told me the timing belt on my 2002 Subaru Outback should be replaced soon (car has 96,000 miles now). The estimate they gave me was a minimum of $400 and a maximum of $800. I’ve never had repairs done at this place, just oil changes, but I’m guessing when I get this fixed it will end up being closer to the $800 figure. Does this price sound correct or what?

$400 if they replace the timing belt alone is right. Occasionally the tensioner and some cam seals are replaced likely getting cost towards $800.

Your timing belt is scheduled for replacement at 105,000 miles. Your owner’s manual will have a schedule of other maintenance that would be due at this time.

The timing belt is critical on your particular engine. If it is not done and the belt breaks, it could cause significant engine damage.

Maybe someone will chime in with specific estimates for this car. But $400 - $800 could be very much in line, depending on what goes along with it. On some cars, the accessory (serpentine) belt is replaced at the same time, as might be the timing belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley, and on some cars the water pump, too.

Sounds about right…it will need to be done, BUT if this was a quick lube joint, get away from there and get it done where they know their rear end from their elbow.

Thanks for the replies sounds like it’s a good estimate. I know it’s something that needs to be taken care of and it’s a good garage, not a quick lube joint.

Not only does it give miles, but also number of years the belt should be changed