Pretty sure I have a dead battery

I accidentally left the trunk unlatched on my car for two to three days and now it won’t start. I have a cheap thenvector 300 amp battery jump starter that is able to make the lights go on but when I try to turn the engine I can’t really hear the starter do anything. I then was luck enough to get someone with a small 4 cylinder car to try to help me jump start but the same thing happened. I’m guessing that both methods didn’t have enough power to actually jump the car? Also the person who tried to jump the car checked the battery to see if it had enough water in it to keep a charge I guess. I have a 09 sonata so the battery is new, it looks like there’s enough water to me, but I can’t fully get the cover back on. I’m wondering if there’s any trick to get the cover on?

What should I do next since I don’t know anyone with a car? Take the battery to sears and have them test it just to make sure it’s dead and doesn’t have a bad cell or something just to be safe? Would they also charge it? Would it be cheaper to call around to local mechanics and ask them how much they’d charge? Do I have to get a new battery now that the cover was sort of pried up? If it costs $40 or more to have someone charge it and I can fix the cover myself I’d rather buy a better battery jumper that can also charge if there are decent ones for $100 or less.

You can buy a battery charger for $40 or less.Don’t know what you mean by can’t get the cover on. Did someone try to pry off the top of a maintenance free battery?

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s maintenance free. I’m thinking about buying a charger off amazon with two day shipping and just dealing without a car until wed at the latest. Will be the battery be ok if the top is on but it’s not sealed and it’s kind of pried open but the liquid can’t escape?

Found this on google: Any of the maintenance free type batteries that have a built in hydrometer(black/green window) will tell you the condition of 1 cell of 6. You may get a good reading from 1 cell but have a problem with other cells in the battery.

I’ll try to check out my battery better tomorrow when it’s light out.

The battery is junk, replace it. Automotive batteries are not made to be completely discharged, when it happens the battery is junk and needs to be replaced.

Everybody should own a battery charger. Go to a local store and buy one asap. This incident will probably shorten the life of the battery, but it’s only about 2 years old so it should come back to life if you charge it properly.

I’m not quite sure what was pried off here, but this makes me nervous. Are you absolutely sure no liquid can come out under any circumstances? That would be very bad for your car, not to mention possibly your skin and clothing. You’ve already gotten about half of the life out of this battery, so maybe you should play it safe and get a new one now.

I don’t recommend letting this friend try any other repairs on your car!

That’s not water, it’s sulfuric acid, and it can burn you and destroy your clothes, like like lion9car said.

You’ve discharged the battery (deep cycled) but although the battery has been damaged, it can be recharged. You’ve pried off the top so that presents a problem. If you want to avoid buying a new one you’ll have to find some way of keeping the top on. If it was me, I’d try some automotive silicone to glue it down; may or may not work.

A charger is always good to have but Sears automotive center or any garage can recharge it. Anyone around you have a boat? Boat owners usually have battery chargers and are generally helpful people :slight_smile:

Take the battery out and take it to an auto parts store. They can check the battery and tell you if it is OK or not. While this is an opportunity to fleece you, I have found that the two parts stores I deal with give an honest appraisal of the part. My local NAPA store reported that my starter was fine, which led me to check the 6 month old battery (the real problem). Even if they make an error, a new battery is less than $100. That’s an inexpensive mistake.