PRE-OWNED 2021 GMC YUKON XL DENALI SUV 24k mil with Valve cover gasket replaced @ 14

Hi All,

I want your advice on this Denali. A 21 Yukon XL denali that checkes all the boxes for me but on carfax had a gasket replaced @ 14K. and looks like it was being taken in for oil change evre 2-3K. After the gasket job it was sold at auction. Thoughts?

Thanks
G

2021 sold at auction a red flag to me.My last used car was bought from the dealer that leased it!

3 Likes

Must be a reason the original owner got rid of a truck still under the 36/36000 warranty plus 50/50000 power train warranty.
I would avoid the truck

2 Likes

Was it leased?

2 Likes

I would not assume that there’s something wrong with it because someone got rid of it during the warranty period. My wife got rid of a 2020 Subaru Outback after 6 months and 8K miles because she just didn’t care for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

@texases makes a good point that it may be a lease return. Lease returns can end up at auction so, again, don’t assume an auction is a red flag either. The dealership doesn’t own the leased vehicle.

The fact that the owner had oil changes every 2-3K (overkill) and a valve cover gasket replaced @ 14K indicates the owner was conscientious. It’s still under warranty too…

Possible that the 6.2L gets 14 city / 20 highway MPG and they realized that after the fact… lol

I have bought many 2-3 year old vehicles that still had factory warranty left on them, my daughter 2017 Corolla was bought in 2019 with factory warranty remaining… That is about the best deals, or used to be anyway was buying a slightly used 2-3yo vehicle that someone else took the new car depreciation biggest hit… Most have been leases, demos, maybe even repo’d lol… I have also bought a few one yo vehicles from dealers and saved a lot of money off the new car price, very low miles… Never had a bad experience, but also bout all but one from a new car dealers used car lot… Carmax sells 1-2-3 yo vehicles all the time without issues…

Thank you all for responding.
It was a lease. That was sold in lower NY, then after the gasket change it was moved to Michigan and the owner had it for less than a year. After that it was sold in auction and shipped to CT.
It looks great and no leaks that I see!
Even if it is under warranty for the next 7K miles I don’t want to be filling oil every few weeks :sweat:
But it looks so nice :blush:

Pay your own mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. If that passes, you are probably good to go. Make sure part of the inspection proves the check engine light behaves like it should, and there are absolutely no readiness monitors in the “incomplete” state. If anyone tells you an incomplete readiness monitor is nothing to worry about, will clear by itself with just a little more driving, ask them to prove it. Leaking valve cover gaskets are a pretty common thing by reports here, and generally don’t portend any serious underlying problem. I’m guessing the owner was having cash-flow problems, the vehicle was repossessed, returned to dealer, who then sold it at auction.

??? It was a lease, returned at the end, it would seem.

It was shipped to MI after the lease expired, sold, then resold at auction after a year and moved to CT according to the OP.

1 Like

Moving a vehicle from one state to another is one way that titles get “cleaned”. I’d suggest that you take it to a body shop and have it evaluated for a previous accident.

2 Likes

It was returned within a year and a few month, the same time the gasket was replaced.

The price is very enticing, decisions, decisions.
I think I’ll get an external inspector and go from there.

If anyone has anymore advice I would appreciate a lot.

G

It was returned within a year and a few month, the same time the gasket was replaced. But I’ll definitely get an inspection.

Thanks
G

The important question is how many owners did the vehicle have, and what was their total length of ownership? If the answer is “multiple owners” and one of them owned this two year old vehicle for a little over a year, I’d keep looking. If it has only had one owner, maybe it’s ok, pending an inspection for hidden collision damage, etc.

It looks like you are ready to buy it. Take it to your favorite repair shop and pay for a prepurchase inspection. They can find any existing problems and tell you whether it was in an accident. The severity of the accident damage and general condition will tell you whether it is worth a shot.

1 Like