Power train stuck in park

I need input on this problem on why my Aztec was stuck in park and what I may look for to correct the problem?

Are you pushing down firmly on the brake pedal while attempting to shift out of PARK?

If that release is working and shifter still stuck, the parking PAWL on the shifter may be bent. This is the lock that engages with the tranny when parked.

A longtime habit of NOT using the PARKING BRAKE will cause the PAWL to bend.
You could try rocking the vehicle forward and back and try to shift at the same time. (with a helper of course)

All modern cars have a safety “system” built in so that the vehicles can’t be shifted out of park without steping on the brake pedal. This is what usually fails and keeps you from shifting your vehicle. This “system” is composed of switch and a solenoid, the first is down by the pedal and the solenoid next to the shifter. What normally fails is the solenoid assembly.

Depending on where the shifter is, makes it more complicated. Shifter on the floor makes the repair fairly simple. Shifter on the column, a little more difficult.

Ocam’s razor problem…simpliest thing usually responsible…shift solenoid safety feature noted is likely cause. Note their is usually an emergency release key slot on most consules to release it manually. A cheap easy fix

another possibility is if you are parked on a hill, there might be too much weight leaning on the parking pawl. That is if you are on a steep hill.

Did you have the parking brake on before you put it into park? You should!

First I like to thank you for your response.
Yes I pressed firmly on the brake pedal.
I never use my parking brake.
Here’s what I notice and did,When I shut off the engine and removed the key my low fluid light came on indicating low brake fluid and low windshield fluid to prevent draw on my battery I disconnected the battery. Next morning I reconnected the battery and everything is normal,I’m still weary that it may happen again. joe

thank you for your input. joe

Here’s what I notice and did,When I shut off the engine and removed the key my low fluid light came on indicating low brake fluid and low windshield fluid to prevent draw on my battery I disconnected the battery. Next morning I reconnected the battery and everything is normal,I’m still weary that it may happen again. joe

Here’s what I notice and did,When I shut off the engine and removed the key my low fluid light came on indicating low brake fluid and low windshield fluid to prevent draw on my battery I disconnected the battery. Next morning I reconnected the battery and everything is normal,I’m still weary that it may happen again

“When I shut off the engine and removed the key my low fluid light came on indicating low brake fluid and low windshield fluid to prevent draw on my battery I disconnected the battery.” what connection does all this stuff have to do with being stuck in Park?

Well not using the parking brake can damage the locking part of the transmission and cause the problem you have. I am not saying that is your problem nor am I saying it caused the problem, but I would not be at all surprised if it was the cause of your problem.

BTW just for fun.  Open up the car's owner's manual.  Read the section about the automatic transmission and see if it does not tell you to set the parking brake before putting the car in park.  

Good Luck