Power Steering Leak in Buick

I recently noticed a power steering fluid leak in my 2005 Buick Century with 126000 miles. I added some Prestone power steering fluid with Stop Leak but had no results. The label on the bottle says it’s compatible with GM. Is there a better additive I could use that won’t damage the system? Or, should I get the leak fixed? If I need a new PS pump, could anyone give me a rough estimate of the total cost (parts & labor)? I don’t want to be overcharged.

The place I tend to get PS leaks is where the high pressure hose connects with the rack. A hose leak at the connector in other words. That type of leak isn’t likely fixed using a stop leak product. The stop leak products are mostly for leaky seals.

The oem pump (26086107) is a little less than $500 + 1 hour labor. Many owners of 12 year old car would choose an aftermarket rebuilt pump and save some $$ on the parts cost. Check at rock auto dot com for aftermarket pump pricing.

Are you sure it’s the pump, or is this a typical “if” statement?
Usually the rack will be the first thing to leak.

Either way, shop rates vary widely depending on location. NYC is at least two or three times that of rural states. And probably much more expensive than upstate NY.

I’d recommend having the leak diagnosed by a shop you trust, and if it’s the rack (that’s big money) get a second quote… or just swallow hard and pay the man. You’d be better served to worry about the quality of the work than the price.

If there is a leak in the high pressure side of the PS system, you will need to completely replace the high pressure line–you cannot splice-in a repair. The low pressure line incorporates a metal section with a couple 180 curves. Purpose of these runs is to encourage air-cooling. Unfortunately one of these trombone-looking curves is right up against the corner of the oil pan, and will rub if not secured properly. Constant rubbing over time will create a flat spot and eventually a leak. You may: a). Take your car to a repair shop and have them replace the entire low pressure return line for $400-$600. b). Buy an aftermarket low pressure return line for about $30 and replace it yourself–which is not an easy task, especially at the connection with the steering rack. c). IF you get a leak in the location I described, which many people will, you may cut out a “U” shaped portion of the metal low-pressure line with a dremel and cutting wheel or a hack saw, and splice in a section of 3/8" power steering hose with a couple of clamps. Effort well spent to maintain twenty-year-old vehicle with little monetary value.

Mine was leaking at the rack. Rusted out. $ 800 on an 03 Trailblazer.

I suspect after three years the OP is well aware of the problem and cost by now. After failing to solve a leak, adding more stop leak is not a good answer.