Power Steering Air Conditioning

Just started the car and when leaving noticed the power steering was out, went a couple of blocks and noticed the air conditioner was also out. Any ideas?

What is the model year? How many miles are on the odometer?

My first guess would be the loss of belts. Does this have many belts or one long serpentine belt?

2000, with 106,000 miles. It’s the 2.5 V6 DOHC. I need to check on type of belts for this car.

Check you belts, while you can drive without A/C or power steering, the belt might also go to your alternator, maybe water pump. You don’t want to drive with them out.

If it is one of the drive belts, what would a good estimate be on the parts and labor? Thanks for your help.

The estimates will depend on where you live and what exactly is wrong with the belts. It could be that the belt(s) failed and need(s) to be replaced, or it could be you have a bad pulley or tensioner.

When was the last time you had the timing belt replaced? Did they replace all the belts or just the timing belt?

It’s been a good 25-30K miles since we had a new pulley kit installed in the car. It seems that one of the original pulleys was made with a large ring of cheap plastic around the metal, and the plastic broke. And of course, the pulley was offered in a kit of three. I’m not sure which belts were serviced at that time.

Does that car have Electric power steering? Some cars do. If so it could be an electrical problem.

A local mechanic made the repair for us. It was the power steering belt. Belt was in the $25 range, and the labor was $20. The broken belt caused the compressor to get hot, which reduced the cool air. Once the belt was replaced, everything was back to normal. Thank you all for your input.

The broken belt caused the compressor to get hot, which reduced the cool air. Once the belt was replaced, everything was back to normal.
Don’t you mean that tne broken belt caused the compressor not to run? I don’t think it would make the compressor get hot.