Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I have a 2010 ML350 Blutec that i bought at 80K miles. I had the front control arms replaced and still have significant poping/creaking over bumps in the front end. The mechanics inspected everything in the front end around the control arm, and since replacing the control arm is a fairly invasive procedure, one would think they would spot a problem if it was in an associated component. The pop existed before and after that procedure, and now i think that it is related to the strut.
- The sound only happens when going over speedbumps, potholes.
*Sounds like CREEEAK POP Creeak POP…pop
- No sounds from turning the wheel.
- No fluid leaks around the strut/ ride is level
- Sometimes on the highway, bumps take a while to settle out (but it doesn’t seem excessive)
I’ve attached a picture of a worn segment on the loudest side (Driver front) and would like to know if you guys think this is the cause, or if this type of wear is normal. Mechanics charge quite a bit just to look at things, so the input is greatly appreciated.
Also, If the strut is bad:
- What other problems can it lead to if not replaced immediately (If its just noise i can live with it)
- How long can I wait to replace it
- If i do need to replace it, what else would be a good idea to replace at the same time?
- What else should i check?