Possible Wheel Bearing Damage after Tire Replacement

Immediately after I had four new tires installed on a 2000 Blazer 4wd, the front wheel bearings started making noise. At the time I thought the noise was from the new tires. A few thousand miles later my mechanic told me I needed two reman hub assemblies (sealed bearings) for ~$350 apiece plus labor.

Is there anything that the tire shop (independent not chain) could have done (accidentally or otherwise) to damage the bearings during the tire installation? I have to get 4 tires for my 93 Chevrolet Caprice and don’t wish to repeat the experience.

Whoops, forgot to mention this happened at 56k miles when the truck was five years old. Is it possible that the bearings were borderline and the process of mounting the wheels put them over the edge? For instance, someone being a little over enthusiastic with an impact wrench.

Thanks,

Ed B.

I seriously doubt it.

The vehicle is 12yrs old so a wheel bearing is not a surprise.

Concur with Andrew.

Agreed

Unless you saw (or heard) the tire shop taking a sledge hammer to the wheels, it is extremely unlikely that their tire installation damaged the wheel bearings. After 10-11 years on the road, it is likely that this bearing failure is merely coincidental.

“Whoops, forgot to mention this happened at 56k miles when the truck was five years old.”

And you waited 6 more years to question it? Why bother now?