Pop and clunk in 2002 Honda Odyssey EX

I’m struggling with a problem on my 2002 Odyssey that has 80K miles. We had all the recall work done including the transmission several years ago. The military just relocated us to Belgium and our van began acting up a month after we arrived. I had a bunch of work done before we left the States. The shocks, struts, strut mounts, front engine mount, the hoses and drive belt, tires, a/c compressor, and all the fluids were replaced in June. Now we hear and can feel through the floor a loud popping/banging noise when turning or accelerating. Also, the steering wheel has been submitting quite a bit to depressions in the road, holes, or bumps and wobbles quite a bit. The steering is smooth and tight on nice roads but rougher roads cause dramatic steering wheel movements and wobbling. Everything appears to be tightened down. The CV boots look fine. The brakes are about a year old. The exhaust pipes are on properly. The transmission shifts as smooth as silk and is very quiet. The bushings that I looked at seem good too so I?m not sure where to go from here. Help!

I have a 2003 Odyssey that has a similar, though not nearly as severe problem. I’d definitely describe it as a clunk or pop right underneath the front center of the van. Once I took it to the dealer, but they couldn’t find anything wrong. The sound happens very infrequently, so I don’t worry much about it.

Good luck figuring it out.

You need a good front end/alignment shop to check it out asap.

You could have something really bad going on - like a ball joint that’s about to give it up. (FYI: the ball joints pretty much hold up the whole front end. Having one suddenly fail on you is an experience to miss).

You could also have something less serious like a broken stabilizer bar link.

Either way - pops and bangs and wobbly steering wheels are signs of danger.

Understood. It’s going to a Belgian Honda dealer on Monday. Does anyone think this could have happened when the transport company strapped the vehicle either to truck or ocean vessel? I learned axle damage is common during transport. Just wondering.

It would certainly be within the realm of reasonable possibility. I assume that you’ll mention the vehicle’s transport when you bring it in for inspection. There may be a way to give a “probable cause” if it isn’t just a normal wear and tear issue (as things like ball joints or axle joints often are).

My wife took it to the Honda dealer in Mons yesterday and they had it for about 40 minutes. Turns out one of the engine mounts was loose. Not sure which one because the work order is in French and Google translator cannot interpret the word resserage…“controle et resserage support moteur.” The rest I understand, “control and motor mount.” It runs beautifully now. Thanks for the feeback!

My wife took it to the Honda dealer in Mons yesterday and they had it for about 40 minutes. Turns out one of the engine mounts was loose. Not sure which one because the work order is in French and Google translator cannot interpret the word resserage…“controle et resserage support moteur.” The rest I understand, “control and motor mount.” It runs beautifully now. Thanks for the feeback!