Poor "ride" on Toyota Venza

Yes, I am kicking the tires. We have an immaculate '99 Solara. If I (or someone else) bends it the insurance company will payout about $2,000 and tell us to buy another car. So I am planning ahead. Before the Solara we had two Accords and we put 200k on each. The criteria now is 4-doors, large cargo space, Asian manufacturer preferably Honda or Toyota and I don’t like the looks or write-ups on the Crosstour (can’t afford the Lexus RX3500 I lust after). Thanks for all the feedback. Rent one? I like that idea. The particular dealer I spoke to does “rent” cars but winced when I mentioned a 100 mile test drive.

Not true when you mount 35-45 aspect ratio tires on those 20" wheels…They look like forklift tires and they ride like forklift tires…One good pot-hole and both the tire and wheel are gone…

That I’ll agree with…

But a 16" 265/70 should give a better ride then a 15" 265/70.

Personally I don’t like those low profile tires.

I would keep looking if it does not work out of the box.

I believe this car runs 19"-20" wheels standard on 50-55 series tires. While not high profile that is not really low profile either.

You can apparently downsize the wheels to 17" on 65 series tires according to winter wheels that fit. Call tirerack.com and explain your dilemma ask for an honest opinion.

Don’t forget that Lexus is the “Luxury division of Toyota”…the mechanicals underneath it all are the same. Primary diferences are things such as leather interior: The Lexus version of my 4Runner has slightly better leather. I paid enough, I’m not paying 10 grand more for a better leather. I can replace the seats for much less.

You could look around at the prior rental and lease vehicles, too. At least those will have complete documentation for the maintenance (which is normally up to spec), and if they were ever banged up, that should be listed, too. If you just want new, then ignore that.

Look around. Find a good spot in town that has some smooth roads, curves,and some rough roads. Lots of test drives are in your future. :slight_smile:

I noticed that too. When I was a teen, I had a manual shift Corvair and I thought it rode poorly. Then I drove my employer’s beat up Greenbriar with the 4-foot long shift lever. After each ride in the Greenbriar, the Corvair seemed like a sports car.

“he criteria now is 4-doors, large cargo space, Asian manufacturer preferably Honda or Toyota…”

But The Accord and Solara are built in the USA from parts mostly made in the USA. About all that is Asian is the name. I own an Accord, so I’m not trying to fool with you. Just be aware that your last 3 cars are essentially American.

If you really like the RX350, why not buy a used one? A two year old R350 will be about $28,000. A new Venza is about $27,000. My parents had a similar experience in the 1960s and bought the used luxury car. They were always happy they bought the car they liked best, even if it was 2 years old.

Another option is to open yourself up to other American cars. It wouldn’t hurt to test drive a Ford Edge. Maybe yo would like a Nissan Murano. It’s more expensive than the Venza ($2000+) but the differences might be worth it to you.

I still think you should look into a 2-year old RX350, though.

The criteria now is 4-doors, large cargo space, Asian manufacturer preferably Honda or Toyota and I don’t like the looks or write-ups on the Crosstour (can’t afford the Lexus RX3500 I lust after).

How about a Mazda 3 hatchback or a Cx-7? The new 2012 3 will reportedly get 40mpg highway, while the 2.5L I-4 Cx-7 will get almost 30.

ps. Most Mazdas are built in Japan using mostly Japanese parts, does that count as Asian manufacturing?

Actually, that’s not necessarily true anymore either. My 2005 Scion tC rides far better than my 2005 Corolla did, and it has 45 aspect ratio tires. A lot of makes now are going to lower aspect ratios, I suspect to reduce rotating mass for CAFE reasons, and they’re getting good at selecting spring and shock rates that smooth out the ride. My theory about reducing rotating mass is, by the way, just a theory. I’ve been unable to find any data in this regard, but I’m thinking that larger alloy wheels with less rubber on them are probably lighter than smaller wheels with more ruber on them 9assuming the same O.D. and thread width.

Something for consideration is that there may actually be nothing wrong with the ride and some complainees consider it to be too hard because they were acclimated to the old worn out shocks and struts that were on the vehicle they traded in.

At one time I changed the rear shocks on one of my cars and to this day my wife still complains that there’s a problem (hard ride) with the car ever since those shocks were changed.
I’ve explained, a dozen times with no success apparently, that the ride now is normal and the prior slightly mushy ride was actually the abnormal ride.

(I did offer to remove the shocks entirely and throw them away while guaranteeing her that would definitely provide a softer ride.) :slight_smile:

Good point. The Solara has done 145k miles and the ride is definitely not hard. I know a new suit of tires makes the San Antonio roads seem suddenly remarkably smooth. Earlier I wrote that we favoured an Asiatic manufacturer but I meant Asiatic company not Asiatic factory. So the plan (for now) is: LOTS of test drives; if not satisfactory (we won?t be changing the tires on a new car)look for a 2-year old RX3500; and after that look at whatever Consumer Reports favors in the way of alternative Asian vehicles.

Find some rough roads beforehand, then use them as your test track. That worked for me. My car has 50 series tires and is not at all rough. Firm, but that’s how I like it.

And do all your test drives the same day, it’s impossible to remember from day to day.

Do not modify the vehicle. You will throw off your ABS, TRAC,Speedo , Body modules,etc…Vehicles are not the same as they were even 5 years ago.

Don’t believe in any driveabitity or ride reviews by a magazine writer. Drive the vehicle yourself.

If the car is designed for the low aspect ratio tires…then it’s probably fine…but I’ve seen people put them on for the look on a vehicle that wasn’t designed…and the ride was AWFUL.