Pontiac solstice clutch

I recently purchased a used 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP with a 5 speed stick. SOMETIMES when I leave from a stop the front of the vehicle shakes as I release the clutch and the transmission shifting is noisy as if the syncro-mesh is wearing out. The problem is intermitten. The original owner had it 3 years and drove mostly in-town and only put 6200 miles on the car. There are no other symptoms or problems. The mileage is in the lower thirties and it is rated at 29 MPG.

I’ll bet it is clutch shutter. Common on an overheated clutch. The only cure is to turn the flywheel and pressure plate. May as well replace the whole clutch, since your in there.

Standard transmissions often don’t do well in city or town driving. Many drivers tend to baby the engine at the expense of the clutch, especially in the first and second gears.

I’d guess two things about the prior owner. He or she undershifted in the lower gears, protecting the engine but damaging the clutch plate. Also whoever it was had their hand on the shift all of the time, especially in the lower gears.
You need a new clutch and throwout bearing.

After the repair, keep your foot off of the clutch pedal and your hand off of the gearshift unless you are shifting. Use the first gear and second gear at around 3,000 rpm’s normally.
Part of the clutch pad replacement includes resurfacing or replacing the pressure plate. The replacement of the throwout bearing is also just common sense. Make sure your repair includes all three.

THANK YOU. I know now that I will have to find a GM dealer that will do the warranty work since this car has a 100,ooo mile warranty on the drive train.

Raj11s wrote:

I know now that I will have to find a GM dealer that will do the warranty
work since this car has a 100,ooo mile warranty on the drive train.

Clutches are a “wear” items, similar to brakes and tires. They are typically warranted for only 12 months or 12,000 miles on a new car.

I seriously doubt your clutch is under warranty. But please do ask the dealer and post back with what you learn.