Pontiac G6 GT a Nightmare!

I’ve owned this 2008 G6 GT for 4 years now & it has been a nightmare. I’ve had 2k worth of repairs done on it in the last 2 months. CAM & Crank sensor, spark plugs & wires, new battery, & so many others & yet I still have problems. Sometimes it starts up just fine then others it doesn’t. It never seems to want to start after filling it up almost full of gas until I keep the gas cap off once it starts I cap it & it’s good to go. The seat belt light keeps blinking even if someone isn’t in the seat. It sounds like it misses right before I hit 40mph then again once I hit 45mph. Now driving today my onstar came on over my radio which is odd cause my husband ripped the wires out connecting it to the mirror. Heck the thing has even just died while I back up then I have to put it in park restart it then it’s good to go which is scary as hell when it’s in the middle of the road somewhere & a car maybe coming at me & my kids. Sometimes it’s just fine then when I park it then it will just die while idling. Heck even after I turn the thing off & get ready to get out it’s like the motor starts back up & rattles the whole front end. & God forbid it steering wheel tries to yank out of my hand out of the blue even on straight roads. & then the car acts just perfect for sometime no problems at all then out of the blue the nightmare starts all over again. I’ve had it too several dealerships & hooked up & they find nothing wrong had the thing checked from front to back & everything is good. I think my car is just Evil or something or another Christine!

Huh. I’ve got an 09 GT with the 3.5 V6 engine and it has been just fine. I replaced the plugs and after a slight miss replaced the plug wires. The cat was replaced under warranty but thats about it. I also just put a battery in as a precaution. It sure sounds like the stalling and failing to start might be a fuel pump issue. They can be intermittant. You should not fill the car more than the first click off at the pump though. Just get in the habit of stopping when it clicks off. There was a problem with some of them for clicking in the steering wheel and why in the world would you cut the wires to the mirror. Onstar can provide information and advice on engine issues as you sit in the garage.

Really, it might be a problem with the repair facility but maybe its just time to trade and try something else, but I’ve been really happy with mine and I have over 90K on it now.

Sell the car, get another car. Move on with your life.

^

Accordion

"I’ve had 2k worth of repairs done on it in the last 2 months. - "
"It never seems to want to start after filling it up almost full of gas until I keep the gas cap off - "
“the thing has even just died while I back up then I have to put it in park restart it -”
“It sounds like it misses right before I hit 40mph then again once I hit 45mph -”
"Sometimes it’s just fine then when I park it then it will just die while idling. - "
"even after I turn the thing off & get ready to get out it’s like the motor starts back up & rattles the whole front end. - "
"steering wheel tries to yank out of my hand out of the blue even on straight roads - "

I suspect you might have a fuel pump problem, and EVAP system problem, a “dieseling” problem (caused by hot cylinder temps, maybe carbon deposits holding heat), and either a power steering system problem or a brake hanging up, and those are on top of the bad seat sensor (the seatbelt light blinking).

In short, you have a genuine POS (Piece Of S***). Sounds like one of the last Potiacs off the line just before the division got shut down and the workers laid off.

I’m truely sorry, but I think it’s time to go shopping for a replacement. A car’s history is the best predicter of its future reliability. It can only get worse.

+1 for @thesamemountainbike. Your Pontiac is an orphan.

@SpryteoftheShadows, your car is a good candidate for a trade-in. You don’t have to volunteer anything about your problems. Just let them check it out. They are professionals and you have no obligation to tell them as you would a private customer. That’s why I don’t think that you should sell it to another driver.