Please someone respond!?

I’ll second Transman. Just because a fuel pump is working fine one minute does not mean they’re fine the next.
A pump can be a hit and miss affair; especially if the fuel filter has been neglected.

I agree. My car had a problem kinda like this where it would drive fine, but when it idled, it would sputter and die. Now, I’m no mechanic, but my problem was a vacuum leak in the intake manifold. A new gasket was all it needed and it was fine. Rather cheap too. Not sure if yours is the same, but it’s easy and worth checking. Good luck!!!

WHEN THIS HAPPENS YOU MIGHT CHECK AND SEE IF THE RADIATOR HOSES ARE COLLAPSED. IN THIS CASE YOU MAY NEED A NEW RDIATOR CAP FOR YOUR VEHICLE. ALSO, PERHAPS THE WATER PUMP ISN’T CIRCULATING THE COOLANT PROPERLY AND THE PROBLEM MAY BE THE BELT FOR THE PUMP ISN’T TIGHT ENOUGH AND THEN THE TENSION MAY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED BY THE IDLER PULLEY OR ALTERNATOR.
GOOD LUCK CHUCK T.

An air bubble in the cooling system can cause overheating. Idle the engine with the coolant cap removed to purge the air bubble; something simple to try. Possibly your mechanic missed it.

am actually in Longmont, 80501, my car passes emmisions with flying colors and low numbers

I would suspect the fuel pump relay is causing this trouble to happen. It can be just fine when you start it up again but then the heat buildup later on will cause the bad connection inside the relay to get worse and prevent the proper voltage getting to the pump.

I would suspect the fuel pump relay is causing this trouble to happen. It can be just fine when you start it up again but then the heat buildup later on will cause the bad connection inside the relay to get worse and prevent the proper voltage getting to the pump.

I actually don’t sit idling in gear. I know better and also have a bad left knee so it is a bad thing all around to hold the clutch in.

Ok, but at 47, 5’5", 110 lbs. not sure I want to be stalled out on a CO road in this day and age. Rather get it fixed and that way my 70+ year old mother doesn’t have to worry either. Thanks you ALL for the input! I will check it ALL out. It helps hearing all the different ideas, at least I have some things to check on. Cleaning things, all of them, swapping out relays…etc. Thanks guys! I WILL try them all til I hit the right one! Oh, and I used to do my own work on my car…I am the one that replace my clutch in my mothers garage…took me 2 weekends and almost had the tranny fall on my head but got her done! I just am not familiar with all the new stuff on my car…give me a 69 chevy or even a 75 ford pickup…I can do that stuff, even rebuilt some engines. Thank you all again.

Wow, there is a new one, thank you Chuck T

Thank you Cougar, by the way are you Cougar cause you own one? Love 67-69…great cars. I appreciate everyones help in here alot. Trying to respond to them all but seems easier to just do this. I will try everything…even new ideas that come in.

Wow,aren’t you pleasant!? Wanna race? Won quite a few.

I have a Q for you. if you drive under 40 mph will the problem get worse or over 40 ie highway?

MY FRIEND, MY GUESS IS YOU HAVE A BAD EGR(EXHAUST GAS RECYCLING) VALVE. EGR VALVES ARE FAMOUS FOR CAUSING ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS. THAT’S MY THEORY. GOOD LUCK. DAVE

I had a simmular problem with my Saturn SL2, mine was that the fuel sensor and accelerator sensor were bad. It took time to figure this out because the check engine line was not on, so the shop guys couldn’t run the computer on it. So that may be the cause of your die-ing problem.

Now the apparent overh-heating…in my car I had a bad head casket, which never leaked oil onto the car nor on the street (well it most likley did, but in such small amounts I never noticed). Now once this head gasket goes you’re gonna probably need a new car…when mine went it blew a hole in my radiator.

I’m not sure if you found the answer, but I hope this helps.

My car is doing something very similar. it’s a 92 Pontiac Bonneville. 6 cylinder. After about 20 minutes of driving in hot weather (above 85’F) it’ll start to lurch/“starve for gas” from a stop, and once i get up to about 20mph it’s ok again. the car itself is NOT overheating, not even close. i had a bag ignition coil (the coil that goes to the first and fourth cylinder) but it’s still having problems. i’m very perplexed. I’ve been told it’s maybe dirty fuel injectors, but those don’t act up solely in heat.
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated for me as well!

(NOTE - the bad ignition coil was replaced)

-Annie (also in CO)

when you talk about hot , how hot does it get? It does not happen in the winter? tell me what is going on.

It may be something simple like low coolant. Computers in cars with all those sensors will go just crazy over almost any simple thing. If a sensor’s reading is out of tolerance from what it’s expecting, the computer will react in a way that’ll make no sense at all.

Hi guys, wanted to thank you for your help, we changed 2 things and I have a happy car again!!! Changed the top Oxygen sensor and the fuel pump relay. Thank you so very much.