Please if anyone can help with any suggestions

i have a 03 dodge caravan that wont start I hit some rail road tracks and then it dies I switched all sensor and relays and nothing it cranks but wont turn over put a new engine computer in still nothing checked the spark plugs and no spark changed the cam shaft sensor cuz that’s what the code called for still nada so gave in took it to the expressway dodge for them to say it was the cam shaft sensor paid them $330 to get it started drove it home and the next day wouldn’t start doing the same thing so took it back again this time they said the cam shaft again was not working so they replaced that and called said well it wont start they looked around some more and now say the fuel rail wiring harness needs to be re placed and wanted to charge me$900 so I declined service because of the experience I had the first time with it not starting the day after so I ordered one myself and a friend is fixing it but he says that he don’t think that would cause it to not start any suggestions on what else it could be if this don’t work the scanner is saying the cam shaft sensor isent sending any signal to the computer if I didn’t have 5 kids I would just junk it giving up hope on getting it running again help…help…

Just a wild (very wild…) guess but you might consider replacing the ASD (auto shutdown relay).

That relay powers up the computer, fuel pump, and so on and can be prone to failure due to long time use and high current passing through it.

This kind of relay problem is also common with other makes of cars although they may be referred to as something other than an ASD relay. Honda for instance calls them main relays.

I’d 2nd @ok4450 on his idea. When you hit the railroad tracks, were you moving pretty fast and did the vehicle make a significant bounce during this event? If so, it could have sensed a rollover type of accident was impending and cut off the fuel pump as a safety measure. Some of these relays have to be reset manually, some others reset when the car is turned off completely and then restarted. This might be a fault somewhere in that system. You might try disconnecting the negative ground wire off the battery, let is sit for a few minutes and then reconnect the battery. That can “reboot” everything, it is simple and worth a try.

I am also skeptical that the wiring harness will do the trick, but you’ll soon know on that.

I doubt that it’s the auto shut down mode, or the shop where he took it wouldn’t have gotten it started that one time.
I wonder if the jolt was enough that the injector wiring plug was torn almost off and now it’s hit or miss that the wires/pins make good contact.
We don’t really know what the shop saw that they condemned the harness.

Yosemite

Another vote for a flaky ASD relay (yes, that’s what it’s called in Moparese). It will be in the power control module under the hood, driver’s side, big black box. Remove the cover and look at the legend on the underside of the cover to figure out which is the ASD relay. Swap it with the air conditioning relay and see what happens.

Also, you have been throwing part$ at the problem. Diagnosis should come first!

Another thought: While you have the PCM open, check the fuses.

How in the world did you people get through the Original Post without your eyes crossing and just giving up?

If I want to read it, I just copy it into a text editor and add the punctuation, and perhaps correct grammar/spelling mistakes.

Or I just ignore it.

If it hasn’t been already done, try replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6893188&cc=1432885&jsn=394

If the computer see’s no signal from this sensor that the engine is rotating, the computer see’s no reason to operate the ignition and fuel systems. So the engine doesn’t start.

Tester

BillRussell: I must be reading far to many internet posts. I didn’t even notice!

BillRussell wrote:
Or I just ignore it.

This is what I’ll be doing. If I wanted other people to help me, I’d certainly try to make it as easy as possible for those people, unlike the situation here.

perhaps her writing is indicative of the way she speaks ?
is so, I’m surprized there’s even spaces between the words.

lion9car: I was trying to hint at that…

There are several guys at our shop . . . when they enter their story into the computer system, as to what repairs they performed on a vehicle . . . their story looks EXACTLY like OP’s story

Run on-sentences

no separate paragraphs

atrocious punctuation

laughable grammar and spelling

The whole screen just looks like one gigantic pile of letters

When looking up past history, it’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack

Their stories are so messed up, it’s sometimes easier to just look up past history by op codes and parts charged out, and just ignore the story.

It’s almost as if they figure nobody will EVER bother to read previous repair orders, to see if a particular problem has been an ongoing thing, for example

I’m not singling anybody in particular out

My point is simply this . . . it’s hard to read something like that :frowning:

Hey, we’re not the writing police! I also find such posts difficult to wade through, but let’s try to keep in mind why we’re here.

I can make sense of it enough, I think it is a possibility the fix recommended is the right one, Jees we need to keep people to keep this site going, doubtful the op will be back, this site is complimentary, not necessary, and think the future is going to be based on activity, so every poster lost is a nail in the coffin.

I’ll just say one thing . . .

When you write something, you should EXPECT that somebody will actually read it, perhaps now, perhaps later

And you should try to make it easy to read

My eyes are only getting older, and it’s hard to pick anything out of a pile of letters

I suspect a 25-year old guy would also have a hard time making sense out of some of the stories

The OP’s statement is actually pretty clear and coherent compared to some of them that appear on this forum. Some resemble a butchered doctoral thesis.

@ok4450

You’re right

:smirk:

My first-take impression, a problem from among

• cam sensor
  • crank sensor
  • ignition switch

For the engine to start you need three basic things: spark, ignition timing, and fuel

So the method most shops would use to properly diagnose this problem – after querying the engine computer diagnostics – is check for spark, check the ignition timing, and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.