Placing key-fobs in Faraday Cage?

Now that you mention groceries and getting shot, freeway empty, entrances baracaded, swat team on the red. Went to pick up a pizza and wife called and said we are under a shelter in place order. Guy with a gun down by the Mexican restaurant. I’m well protected though. Haven’t seen this much excitement in a long time. Lot of loose screws running around

I’m a carnivore, I do put lettuce on my real meat burgers… lol

Crap:
Hamburgers that I drive my car down to the local drive through that I drive my car through to get… :grin: you know, keeping it car related…

I wasn’t going to mention the brand name, but yes, when I drive to the store, I get Valveeta Shells and Cheese.

The obvious solution involves two way communication.

E.g., you press a button on the fob that sends a signal to the car.
The car sends back a randomized bit sequence. (E.g., amplify noisy signals to the extent that the results are random at a quantum level, and use the least significant bits.)
The fob takes that sequence through the encryption phase of a one-way-code. (Meaning that knowing the encryption code, does not give you the decryption code, unless you have an impractical level of computational horsepower. Look it up.)
The car takes it through the decryption phase, and verifies that it matches the original random signal.

BTW, fobs that work automatically are a really bad idea. You walk past your car and unlock it without meaning to. Or you walk along a path that temporally blocks the signal, so the car “thinks” you are returning and want it re-opened. Plus, in my experience, cars aren’t very good at figuring out whether the key is inside or outside the car, so sometimes you lock yourself out by accident.

I used to hate car fobs, and even when I had them, I used the physical key. The problem is, inserting a physical key over and over again eventually causes the lock to fail, dirt to get in the lock, and/or the key to break. I’ve had that happen. And now that many cars only have a physical lock opening on one door, you are stuck. The “right” solution, in my view, involves having physical key openings on every door. Which used to be true.

1 Like

It’s entirely possible that some vehicles work as you describe, but every key fob/no key car with which I am familiar requires that you also pull on the door handle, or do something else to unlock the door–in addition to detecting the proximity-type key fob.

1 Like

And another post for the Good Old Days .

Leave me out , I like my Smart key . I like just touching the door handle to open door or holding my hand in front of the hatch to have it open.

4 Likes

I am bit of a Good Old Days guy, and I just got through fighting trying to figure out how to make them work again after the battery was disconnecting for a week…

That being said, I always carry my wallet, smart phone, a drink and my pain pills with me to the pain Dr once a month… I would love to not have to even scramble to unlock the door, it would be nice if they would even open for me… lol

Here’s something for your existing ride. You could also buy a MB EQS with the Keyless Go Convenience Package Plus or a Tesla Model X Plaid. Auto open front doors are standard on the X. You’ll be more interested in the speed. 0 to 60 in 2.9 sec and it runs the quarter mile in 9.9 seconds.

1 Like

One can only dream… :drooling_face:

1 Like

Good points. I’ve had the problem of the lock mechanism wearing out on both of my older fob-less cars. I consider it just another repair and maintenance job, as is required for any older car. I expect key-type lock problems are extremely rare until a car gets pretty old. I’d find any lock problem on a newer car very annoying. I’d rather have a worn out lock problem on an older car than a key-fob problem on a newer car .

A Faraday cage won’t help protect against the ‘Game Boy Hack’:
Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 Are Newest Victims Of ‘Game Boy’ Hack (insideevs.com)

After 70 responses, all I can say is I think this is totally unnecessary. If you live in that much fear, we’ll . . .

1 Like