PIGS! What kind of a "human" pig does it take to oink up some of our beautiful roads?

That must be a big part of the issue. When I was in elementary school the little kids did most of the classroom cleaning, emptying waste baskets, washing chalk boards, sweeping, etcetera.

Japan? We don’t wear our street shoes onto the floors in my house or in the condo.

I always return my shopping cart to a designated area at stores and regularly return shopping carts others have ignorantly abandoned.

I’ve spent a lot of time on golf courses. Players I know would never make a mess there and all are taught to repair tiny imperfections in putting greens often caused by balls landing on them. Golf teaches many useful life skills.

So, I guess, because of my upbringing and habits, I’d never think of trashing anything.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Couldn’t agree more. Every (and I mean EVERY) stop light will have cigarette butts all over the area where vehicles were parked waiting for the light. Some of the major intersections there will be dozens.

And we have a couple extra problems here in NH. Many towns don’t have trash pickup. You have to either take trash to dump/recycling center yourself or pay for the service. This leads to people taking their trash and just dumping it anywhere they can. Massachusetts has a bottle deposit law. This really helps keeping the cities clean. Drive through any large city in MA or NY at 3am and you’ll see homeless people with 1 or 2 large shopping carts full of bottles and cans they collected to earn a little money. But recycling really helped clean up our bottle mess here in NH.

Not what I’ve seen. All ages do it. And I’ll say that 99% of the smokers who throw out their cig butts are over 50. And besides a litter problem with butts, during the summer it’s a fire hazard. I can’t tell you number of times I’ve seen the median on a highway on fire because some careless jerk threw out their cig butt.

2 Likes

I’ll agree with that…with the one exception of the idiots with their cigars. I find them all over the greens in half smoken states. Disgusting. But in general most courses are very pristine…People put their trash in the little trash baskets at each tee.

Same affliction as cigarette smokers, I’d wager! They think it just burns away… uhh, NO. The fire goes out and the butt stays as everyone that wanders by later can attest!

Then there’s thoughtless chewing gum chewers who seem to jettison used gum wherever and whenever it’s convenient for them.

Nothing ticks me off more than to put a foot down in a parking lot only to have it land on gum. Worse yet, step in it getting in the car or have it leave sticky residue all the way to the residence.

Correction: Careless dog poopers tick me off more, stepping in that is worse.

Florida has a law that states that if it poops, you scoop! Pretty funny to watch all these grown adults cleaning up after their dogs (little dust bunnies on a string). It should be the other way around, to me. They run around with plastic bags. Most abide by the law, at least while I’m watching. It’d be a cold day in Florida before I’d ever have a dog and do that detail.
CSA

I was sitting in the front yard a couple years ago. A couple of probably 40-somethings walked by with their dog, and the dog pooped on my lawn. I had a dog, and just the act didn’t bother me, but they started to walk away. I asked if they were going to pick it up and they said they didn’t have a bag. Since I had a dog, I had lots of bags and offered to get them one. That’s when the man got indignant. Before he got more than five words out of his mouth, his wife said she would take the bag and remove the poop. If she had notinterceded, I think the man would have picked a fight.

A friend of mine puts his Great Dane to work by fitting him with saddle bags. On outings, the dog carries his own water and his own droppings. Of course the owner still has to pick up and package the excrement.

Personally, I use a long handled poop scoop most of the time. It comes as a set. One piece is a small narrow dustpan type of tool, and the other is like a miniature rake, both with very long handles. I never have to get close or put it in a bag. Usually, I just dump it into the next sewer I pass.

Um, you made me cringe. There are two types of sewers, sanitary and storm drains. Sanitary sewers are piped to a treatment facility but storm drains just empty into creeks or rivers etc. and there is no treatment. So putting dog waste in a storm drain is not a good idea, especially for the folks that might be using the river for recreation or drinking water. Yeah I had a dog and a good supply of bags. I got used to the spots on the lawn but now she’s resting under the pine trees, eternally.

1 Like

Knowing how much our waterways are already polluted by Big Sugar here in Florida, I don’t worry about fecal bacteria from one dog. Our waterways already have fecal bacteria thanks to runoff from agriculture and ranching, and all the animals that live in and relieve themselves in those bodies of water. Seriously, I don’t think my dog can keep up with the manatees, dolphins, and whales in that regard who already relieve themselves in the water. Besides, I’ve asked some of the marine scientists with whom I work whether I’m doing any harm; their consensus is that I am not.

When you have major fish kills and toxic algae blooms shutting down your lagoons, rivers, and beaches, one doesn’t sweat the small stuff.

Besides, swimming in a lake or river in Florida is akin to lying across an alligator’s dinner table and daring it to eat you. Very few people swim in Florida’s fresh waterways, and those who do are already swimming with manatee poop and fecal bacteria from dozens of other types of animals.

One last note: Hamilton’s Pool in Texas often has to shut down because of fecal bacteria runoff from local ranches. That suggests there are safe and unsafe levels of fecal bacteria. One dog isn’t going to push Florida’s waterways from “safe” to “unsafe.”

1 Like

I understand one little dogie isn’t going to do much in Florida but we have readers in Minnesota and while we don’t have whales, we have a lot of dogs and Minneapolis gets their water out of the river. I don’t drink that water though. Glad the experts OK’d it though down there and I intend to stay out of the water when I visit. Alligators and snakes are worse than dogie doo. I gotta go clean the snow off the driveway. It’s almost above zero now and dreaming of 80 degrees and blue skies.

Where do you think the snow goes when it melts, along with all the animal droppings underneath it? You’ve got farms and ranches up there, don’t you?

Are there any septic tanks in Minnesota? How many homes have both a septic tank and a well? ☉_☉

Thankfully, the water Minneapolis gets out of the river goes to a water treatment plant before it goes to your tap. If it didn’t, you’d have bigger problems than runoff from dog poo.

Did you know there are trace amounts (safe levels) of popular medications in tap water? Particularly, they’re finding statins in the water, because when people take statins, they don’t get completely digested, so they end up being flushed. Then, through the water cycle, trace amounts end up in your tap water.

Maybe municipal water is a case where you’re better off not knowing how the sausage is made, so to speak. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I have on several occasions seen people with a total disregard for anything but their immediate comfort and pleasure. A most spectacular occasion was when I delivered a console television to a large old home. It was a somewhat cool winter here and I found the living room fireplace was burning various paper along with lumber which included the wood paneling and every other stud from the walls in room at the rear of the house which was piled above waste high with sacks of garbage obviously including soiled diapers.

Such situations always remind me of the quote “Mounted, the poor man rides his horse to death.” I wish I could pin down the author and context of that quote. How is it that dogs are apparently born with a strong aversion to soiling their own home when people aren’t?

If you don’t live in one of the 5 largest cities in NH, then the odds are near 100%. The good thing is my well is 200’ from my septic. And my well is almost 500’ deep, so plenty of filtering going on before anything reaches my well. I sill have several filters to get rid of the naturally occurring stuff like Radon and Magnesium and Arsenic. Other homes have to deal with MTBE and other nasty industrial poisons. I use to own a few income properties in Manchester which was on city water…and after having that water tested - I added a couple filters. Municipal water is not always clean…Flint Michigan is a great example…and they are not alone.

CSA is waiting for you to join him in Florida…

I might have just talked him out of it.

Whitey, it surprises me that you have that attitude, really.

I started this discussion on people who trash the roads and although some who do just don’t give a rip. I’m sure that are others that do care about litter, but figure that one little gum wrapper, can, or napkin isn’t going to hurt anything and will pitch some stuff.

I’d like to think that you are the only one polluting, but I have a feeling there are thousands of others who feel that the poop from just their one pet isn’t going to cause harm.

I care and if I see somebody doing what you find to be okay I am going to let them know how I feel about it and inform them of the law pertaining to putting waste in a storm drain.

Next time, same individual, I will call police.

Our county has little dog crap stations with plastic bags supplied, instructions, and a waste container. If somebody can’t take advantage of those then they shouldn’t have a dog.
CSA

Perhaps you’d like to explain the ecological benefit of putting canine fecal matter into landfills rather than sewers?

Once you do that, I can take your explanation to my marine biologist colleagues and correct their perception that I am doing no harm.

Can you fuel a car with all that dog waste, by any chance?

No, but if every ounce of pet excrement was disposed of with the rest of our non-recyclable refuse, it would lead to higher transportation costs.

Many years ago, my brother was a Real Estate Agent. One of the homes that he had listed got a nibble, so he called the homeowner–who agreed to the date and time for the prospective buyer to visit.
Upon arrival, my brother found a pile of dog poop IN EVERY ROOM. He and the prospective buyer quickly departed, and the homeowner never rose from his recliner. Two years later, the home was still on the market.

If the homeowner took that type of cavalier attitude toward home cleanliness when he was expecting visitors, I would hate to think of what that house looked like when he had surprise visitors.