PIGS! What kind of a "human" pig does it take to oink up some of our beautiful roads?

Even in the so-called upscale SF Bay Area, very common to see someone roll down their window & throw their discarded fast food bag out the window when they are finished w/their burger and fries. For the most part these bags are flying out of expensive-looking newer vehicles, Lexus’s, BMW’s and the like. Never seen one from a Tesla though. The garbage tossing generally tends to come from SUV-style vehicles for some reason, rather than sedans. I guess the police here are busy stopping folks for non-working license plate light bulbs, leaves no time to stop anybody for tossing garbage on the public streets.

1 Like

Well OK but this goes back a couple thousand years. Just this morning we were discussing the phrase “don’t throw pearls to swine”, and there are at least a couple religions that don’t allow eating ham. Myself, I like ham but I like my pigs well done to kill the trichinosis.

I’m sorry. Back to donating cars.

Mississippi has so little to be proud of but the state’s school of agriculture at MSU went to great lengths developing a more efficient method of raising pork but despite the pigs being in clean, air conditioned pens the smell from the waste catch ponds can be a challenge for those unaccustomed to it. My favorite biking trail runs within 1/2 mile of a large modern pig farm and even when the wind is blowing in the other direction there’s no mistaking what mile marker is next. But we’re proud of the great bacon and pork chops at a great price leaving the odor to bike riders.

And everyone should witness a home style hog killing once in their life. Doing so would greatly increase the vegans among us.

It’s no better in Lancaster County. And while PA’s $500 littering fine should be a deterrent, it’s not since our “wonderful” state and local forces don’t bother to enforce it

+1…parking lots, sides of roads, beaches, trails in the woods, etc I find discarded cigarette butts all over the place

1 Like

It’s weird how often demographics and culture come up in your posts, even when you have no way of knowing the demographics or culture of those involved. Why bring it up at all?

I think you’re reading far too much into this. It’s like you have an explanation in search of a problem, and you twist yourself in knots trying to make a point about people who are different from you.

Are you sure it wasn’t just an eye opener into what happens during a garbage strike? How many garbage strikes have you witnessed? How were the others different?

If there is a cultural lesson to be learned here, maybe it should be noted that there is a conspicuous lack of Bottle Bills in Bible belt states and the most conservative states.

Source: http://www.bottlebill.org/legislation/usa.htm

1 Like

@Whitey Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread for context before going off on your hateful diatribe.

A deposit on bottles will solve the problem? Typical. Back to the 50’s.

I’m old enough to remember the scourge of pop-tops littering the ground (Think: Jimmy Buffet), everywhere.

It helped the problem a little when some smart folks would tear them off and stuff them into their beverage container prior to drinking the liquid. Some of these smart folks gave themselves inadvertent DIY tonsillectomies, too.

Then some genius figured out how to have the pop-top stay connected to the container and the rest is history, as they say.

Now… if there was just a way to connect the cigarette filters to something (an eyebrow or nose ring?) and connect the Styrofoam dinner boxes to the pig eating out of it in his/her car or connect it to the food or maybe they could…
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes

I think everyone will be a lot better off if we all avoid generalizations about large groups of people. That goes for people of other culture, people who lease, people who drive trucks with big resonators, people who don’t read the manual, people who don’t punctuate…I’ll stop here.

5 Likes

If littering is the problem you’re trying to solve, it helps. Even if it doesn’t solve the problem 100%, I still think it is an idea worth exploring.

“The effects of deposit systems on litter reduction are well documented through pre and post bottle bill surveys. The percent of litter reduction in states where studies were conducted, fall within a range that varies by only 14 percentage points. When outliers were removed, beverage container litter reductions have consistently been between 70 and 84%, and total litter has been reduced between 34 and 47%.”*

*http://www.bottlebill.org/about/benefits/litter/bbstates.htm

I don’t know why some people don’t care. And I won’t try to stereotype. I just cleaned out the fridge at my office. My coworkers are made up of editors, writers, designers, salespeople, accountants, Some of the abandoned food in the fridge was toxic waste, my controller had to rush out of the kitchen before she threw up when we started cleaning the fridge. Based on my 20+ years in this office I think it is a very small number of people who make a mess in the fridge. Yet few people are willing to put water in the ice cube trays and the microwave becomes a mess shortly after cleaning. I just wrote a No Kitchen Fairies email this morning to all staff.

I think it is the same with the trash on the roads, in my metro, etc.

Other than reminding people to be responsible I’m not sure what incentives are best to get people to clean up after themselves.

I remember occasionally seeing the beanbags in cars that had factory ashtrays. I think I just now figured that out. You had to push the sheet metal tab used for snuffing out cigarettes down with your thumb to remove the factory ash trays. Sheer laziness!

Apparently cultural references against Bible Belt states, and apparently their population too, is perfectly kosher, since you replied to Bing only and not Whitey (who’s the only one who made a direct cultural reference).

Is Nevada part of the “Bible Belt”?

I can’t reply to multiple people’s comments at once, so I am not piling on Bing and ignoring Whitey. No, I don’t think one should make generalizations about them, either.

1 Like

@cdaquila @Whitey
I’m not going to argue but just to clarify, I wasn’t the one attributing littering with a particular age group etc. In fact I specifically said I WAS NOT going venture into the demographics. I don’t know and I suspect no one else here does either.

As far as deposits go, in the 50’s that’s how we made money as kids. We’d collect bottles that were discarded and turn them in for the nickel a bottle. So obviously even back in the 50’s a deposit didn’t work to eliminate bottle litter.

Since you’ve ignored every question I’ve asked so far, choosing to take offense rather than answer them, I’ll only ask one more.

Is your claim that bottle deposits don’t work purely based on anecdote, or are you suggesting that if a program isn’t 100% effective, it isn’t worth doing?

I’ve posted evidence that Bottle Bills reduce litter. I’m betting you ignored that too.

@bing: “I’m not going to argue. Here is my argument.”

Wow! a nickel per bottle. Ours were 3 cents and ‘stubby’ beer bottles were a penny.

Oh man. From my experience in the 50’s there were plenty of discarded bottles with a deposit of 5 cents each. I have no opinion on whether bottle bills do as the studies suggest, just that it is an old idea. I think the litter issue had more to do with fast food containers and cig butts though and not bottles. I have seen very few bottles on the streets. But just so you know, I voted no on “Ban the Can legislation” and I would vote no on a bottle bill too. Then there is the whole issue of banning Styrofoam containers and plastic bags. I’m not going there so don’t ask.

And it’s not my job to answer your questions. Like I said before I am not debating and I’m not a student in your class.

1 Like

I thought you might like to move this from spatting to civil discourse, which would involve us responding to one another earnestly and sincerely. If you don’t, that’s fine with me.

1 Like

From a very early age they are taught to clean up after themselves. Their schools don’t really have janitors like we do, the kids will clean the classrooms after the school day is done- mopping the floors, picking up trash, etc. Hell, they even have to have a different pair of shoes to wear around in the school so they don’t get their normal shoes’ dirt all over the floors.

1 Like