PIGS! What kind of a "human" pig does it take to oink up some of our beautiful roads?

Maybe it can be done. It’s a circuitous route, but if someone collects any poop and puts it in a bin, the poop will emit methane as it decomposes. Collect the methane, compress it, and it could be used to fuel CNG vehicles. Not in my yard, but you get the idea.

Without doing any research and not using science lingo I know that landfills that I’m familiar with are located in areas where it has been determined that drainage won’t pollute surface rivers, lakes, streams, oceans, and the ones I know of are “lined” when constructed. Also, surrounding areas are checked and carefully monitored for pollution that should stay confined to the landfill site.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Oh I wish that was the case here in southern NH and northern MA. We have trash sites that date back over 100 years.

I think they are working on fueling cars with dogie poo. Gotta be happening somewhere. In South Dakota, they dry the buffalo chips though and use that for fuel so why not dogs?

At any rate, yeah land fills usually have barrier in them to prevent anything going into the water table, and septic systems are pretty closely regulated to avoid contamination. Don’t ask how I know but it cost me $10,000.

Sorry if I got off on dogs. They aren’t the worst, just another straw on the camel’s back, but geese, oh my gosh! Those things just refuse to leave and go south anymore. I won’t mention the city in Ohio but we were there for a 4th of July celebration along the river banks. I am not exaggerating but there was not a square foot of open land on the banks without goose droppings. Just absolutely loaded waiting for a rain to wash it into the river. People seem to go gogga over those dirty creatures. They won’t let us but a couple dozen of us could take care of the problem on a Saturday morning. No charge.

Yeah we drove there. Ask me about how friendly the Indiana Highway Patrol are.

There are proper ways to dispose of trash collected while driving and in other locations and then is illegal littering and dumping and polluting of all kinds of waste.

CSA

Bing, we’ve got some of Y’all’s Canada Geese down here on our golf course, the smarter ones.

Perhaps the dumber ones that stay in MN will win the Darwin Award when their feet freeze into a lake, don’t 'ya know.

I’m going to walk to the pool and cool off now. My wife went a while ago with some beer for me.
CSA

I had to go get some more gas for the snow blower but luckily it had warmed up to positive 10. Still froze my brain a little though but it’s coming back.

Authorized landfills here are very regulated like Common Sense Answer describes. We also have many rural areas with old unregulated garbage dumps.

I’ve been using the heat down here in the south to excuse my lack of good sense @bing. Of course for years I have bragged that I was smart enough to never have spent a winter north of Memphis. But look where that got me.

Heh heh heh. The cold kills bugs and ash beetles and alligators, although one was spotted in the river last year.

An alligator in snow blower territory? That must have been a discarded pet.

Yeah that’s what they think unless it was really a stupid one looking for the source of the Mississippi.

Last week we went to Myakka State Park, near here in Sarasota. There are several lakes and ponds in there with gators, big ones. I was able to walk to a shore and have a good look at some and some clowns in 2 canoes (they rent them there) were going through them trying to flush them out. Darwin Award finalists.

Oh, I remember those… in fact I left a trickle charger hooked up to mine in the garage so It’ll fire right off when, or rather if, I can get away from here to go check on the homestead.

My son lives near that location and updates us on the awful weather. He’s got snow piles 6 feet high in his yard and the kids there have missed several weeks worth of school.

Bing, we get your winter Queen with her white fur down here from MN to ride in a Mustang convertible each spring and we watched one of your MN boat racers do well in races on the Manatee River Saturday. So, others are smart enough to migrate south, too.

Was I reading the Winter Festival had to be delayed or cancelled or end early because of winter weather, this year? Ha, ha, ha…

It’s a good winter not to be there. AAA has been sending one winter weather advisory after winter storm warning after another to my cell phone.

On topic… Back home there we have that “adopt a highway” thing. People or groups sign up to be responsible for “policing” litter on a 2 mile stretch of road and they get a sign installed recognizing them. Not a bad idea. That and the container deposit laws seem to help.

While there is no speculating on what could be wrong with those kind of pigs, the fact that they can get away with it and that they generally are unappreciative of life’s little pleasures contribute their deplorable anti-social acts.
Install cameras temporarily, catch them and fine them heavily for a period of time till word gets out and civility is understood to be not a personal choice - I tend to think that money talks like no schools or churches.
Unfortunately for me residents around the street here seem to consider littering a form of decorating art and I don’t think they even see it. When brought to their attention, they look at me like pigs that have never seen a human form before. Authorities let people make their own rules for their streets - as long as they get their due taxes in time

They must not be very good at snow removal. I have relatives in central NY with snowfall averages over 200"/yr. They might miss a week total of school because for the year. 6 ’ snow drifts. I’ve been there during a 60" snow storm.

Oh, no, they’re good at it! They have road graders and trucks with chains and 1/2 wing plows or full-wing plows (several feet tall and wider than huge highway trucks) for drift busting and for pushing snow back to widen travel lanes, under-belly blades for fine detailing, tons of salt and sand, etcetera.

The problem is the amount of snow (and ice), wind, and particularly the enormous number of miles of rural roads to service. They start on the major roads and work down to minor ones. Some is done by state DOT and some by county. From my northern home to town is 20 miles of curving rural road with 2 stop signs in that distance. Wind driven snow makes keeping roads open a challenge and often an impossibility.

When I was working, my commute was 37 miles to work, 2 stop signs, 3 counties, and it had sections that went past open areas of farm land where the wind just keeps closing the roads with drifting! Visibility drops to zero. If you could see the road you couldn’t drive on it.

At times they have to pull the trucks from the roads because visibility makes it too dangerous to be out. Besides when the trucks are off the road or stuck, they are of no use when the skies clear a bit. Plus, this has been a very hazardous winter (glad I’m not in it!) from normal ones, not catching any breaks.

Trust me, it gets bad. I have lived there since 79, 4 decades. Sitting here in Florida, after a hot (73* F morning before sunrise and rising) 21 mile bike ride this morning, I can’t figure out why anybody would live there (above the 45th parallel) on purpose, ha, ha.

I tell friends and relatives… Don’t come and visit unless you plan on moving here. Once here in winter it gets tough to go back.
CSA

I feel the same way about Buffalo in the Summer, but one winter visit to Buffalo will cure that. :sunglasses::beach_umbrella:

I seriously doubt that area gets anywhere near the amount of snow central NY - North of Syracuse gets. It’s considered the snowiest area in the country east of the Rockies. Even Tug Hill Plateau doesn’t have weeks and weeks off of school because of snow…and some towns there average over 300" snow a year. For reference - Buffalo averages less then 100", and Syracuse averages over 120". Boston averages under 45". Town I grew up in averages 156".

Here in Mississippi just seeing someone driving through town who looks like Jim Cantore will shut down schools and close factories for a day or two.

1 Like

Unless Jim’s hunting tornadoes. Then we’re business as usual.

In our (my) defense, we don’t do much road work when it does snow. I doubt they’re driving through feet deep snow most of the time up north either. They’ve got equipment to remove snow and treat the roads. We do not, because we generally don’t need it. Makes more sense to close school 2 days out of the year than buy plow trucks, road graders, salt spreaders or whatever else they use to make the roads passable.

I’m obviously not a winter weather expert, but I’ve seen ice on the roads (1994 or so comes to mind) that if someone up north claimed they could drive on it…well I’d have to call BS. Once it’s slick enough, no driving skill is going to overcome the fact that there is zero traction.