I have somewhat of an extreme daily commute and I’m looking for the perfect car to accommodate my unique drive.
Here are the details:
- Distance: ~100 miles (50 each way)/day.
- Speed: Most of the driving is on the freeway at ~70 mph with very little traffic.
- Altitude Change: It starts in the mountains at ~4500 ft and descends to ~2000 ft
- Temperature extremes: In the summer, it can be +100F. In the winter, it will get as cold as 20F
- Weather Conditions: Most of the time its dry with occasional light snow in the mountains during the winter months.
In terms of the car requirements here are the nice-to-haves:
- Generally safe. Driving this far and close to 70 mph for most of the time, I would like the car to have a decent safety rating.
- Good gas mileage. As you can imagine with 100 miles/day, buying gas is a huge expense and I’d like to minimize it as much as possible.
- Less than $10,000.
- A good AC. With temperatures +100F in the summer, a good AC is required.
- Reliable/Longevity. I like to drive cars a long time so I’d like something that will last.
- Relatively low maintenance costs.
- Four-wheel drive option (desired/not required). With snow in the winter, sometimes 4WD is necessary to get to the freeway.
- 4-seats (desired/not required)
- Fun to drive. (desired/not required)
So, what’s the best car to fulfill most of these requirements? I’m not opposed to a hybrid or diesel if it makes sense.