People upset about turf damage

Guess I’m a Karen then. Our plow guy managed to rip up our grass 4 feet in from the street last year. Then he banged the plow into the freshly-poured driveway and screwed that up too. And I had the lawn edge marked with poles, too - he destroyed those while he was at it.

It’s not that he couldn’t see, it’s that he was a dope and put the side wing plow down, which should really only be used on straight artery roads, not windy neighborhood ones.

The city was kind enough to come out and sprinkle a sparse coating of grass seed. Gee, thanks.

2 Likes

I understand your grievance, city near us requires asphalt approach for dirves as too many plows got torn up hitting concrete, a little grass seed is pretty lame, not sure what is done in our fair city, but 4 feet is 1 heck of a miss! I tried the marking poles also, still missed the curb by 2 or 3 feet, better the last couple of years. Worst part of missing the curb is during the freeze thaw cycles the bottom of the drive turns into a skating rink.

You have to put a post up with those little arrows pointing up. Like on bridges. That means they raise the plow and when they see the arrow pointing down, put the plow down again. :crazy_face: Don’t see a reason to use a plow extension in a residential area.

Interestingly in Sioux Falls they have been experimenting with wings that close when they hit a driveway and open again afterward, thus not messing up the end of the driveway. I guess it all depends on training and personality.

Why doesn’t the salt kill the grass? Here the put salt on everything. Even when it’s not enough to melt all the snow and it just melts some of the snow and causes it to refreeze in to ice when it gets colder they still put salt out on the small side streets.

I don’t get a lot of salt on our residential street but still is enough to cause some stunting of the grass in the spring. It recovers though with some care. And you have to remember the salt is mixed with a lot of snow so is diluted. Sand is another issue but same answer.

Our city they salt the main roads, and only near the intersections on side roads.

1 Like

You may need to check with your town/municipality…you may not own some of that grassy area!

I found out that about 10 feet of our lawn (from the edge of the paving) is owned by the town. They are generally OK with people planting things there (flowers, grass) but if you had a tree or a bush that caused a road problem–visual or otherwise–it can be taken out and you have no recourse. Roads (In Maine) are measured from the center line and small ones are called two-rod roads. (remember rods, from school? 16.5 feet).

Owned or not, they maintain at least an easement so can do whatever they want with it. Like a utility easement.

And you are responsible for maintaining it. Cutting the grass, shoveling the sidewalk. It is called right of way and your property typically ends before the sidewalk.

You may be correct. I just haven’t thought about it for a long time but I do know my property pins are set in 15 feet from the curb.

Depends on what salt they use. Most around here use Magnesium Chloride. It won’t kill the grass. Calcium Chloride will.

Depends on the salt. Believe it or not, beet juice is often used in the brine they spread to help reduce the amount of salt used (and I think it helps the salt adhere better too, but I don’t remember if that’s true).

We drove through Missouri when the roads were treated. The sides of the car were covered with some kind of sticky stuff and couldn’t figure it out. Ran it through a car wash and it all didn’t come off. Washed it again using the scrub brush to get it off. Turns out they use sugar beet juice on the roads. Bad bad bad stuff to get off your car. Just like spraying it with waffle syrup.

Everything is a trade-off. Better for the environment, worse for the car. At least it can be cleaned off the car.

Our streets are often pretreated with beet juice, thank goodness it is not red, then salt when the snow or ice accumulates. Never had the sticky beet juice problem.

More like, it’s a real shame it’s not red! Who wouldn’t want some blood snow!?

3 Likes

just as long as it is not yellow snow. :wink:

2 Likes

“watch out where the huskies go and don’t you eat that yellow snow”

Frank Zappa
Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow
Apostrophe (‘)

4 Likes

Is it corrosive on its own? Does it trap water or salt water and cause corrosion that way?