People get nasty when I drive to save gas

your going to CATCH the WRONG man on the WRONG day and then you will find out WHAT your so called technique,is really doing.

if my son is hurt FOR EXAMPLE,I will run you into the shoulder,with ZERO regards for you.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

they do have playgrounds for that sort of stuff.

#2 buy a bike,BIG WHEEL ,scooter,GREEN MACHINE ECT.

NEVER ASSUME WHAT OTHER PEOPLES THOUGHTS ARE,or their reasons are,not healthy.

OK, I’ve read your post, and the replies to it.

Generally, I keep up with the flow of traffic. If you’ve ever seen me on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, or on I295 on my way to blow a couple-three Benjamins at Atlantic City, you’d see that I am no slowpoke on the road, uh? :wink:

That said, I make one exception - residential areas. There, I go by the “keep kids alive - drive 25” adage. Tailgate me all you wish, flip me all the fingers you wish, proclaim that my father smelt of elderberries all you wish, I’m not going a single MPH faster than 25 in a residential area (unless the speed limit calls for something different, natch). The police here in my hometown are damn good when it comes to enforcing this one, especially when it comes to Mario Andretti wannabees in front of Sunshine Elementary or Bid-A-Wee Daycare.

Look at it this way, if 90% of the people on the road wish to drive faster than remaining 10% , then the 10% should not take it upon themselves to hold up the 90%, who make up the prevailing speed. If anything the people of the minority need to grow up and behave like responsible adults.

my father smelt of elderberries

And your mother was a hamster, you silly English K-nig-ght!

One problem with coasting is that not all vehicles coast at the same rate. While you’ve optimized your coast rate to match the light or arrive at the last car in an optimum fashion, the people behind you may be having to slow down or speed up repeatedly. In heavy traffic, this leads to bigger delays getting through lights and frustration for the people following. See it here every day…

There’s no sense in being nasty with people on the road. Yes, some things border on ridiculous, but I’ve seen far more unsafe driving from people being donkey’s about it than I have from someone paying attention to their driving.

I used to fish tournaments a lot and I almost always pulled my boat in the hammer lane because if I got into the right lane and ran upon someone doing 55 mph nobody will let me over with the trailer to pass. I just wound my rig up to 70 to 75 and drove. If they get pissed off behind me, so be it. Back then the speed limit was 65 and so long as I could run it, I didn’t worry about the 90 mph idiots on the highway.

Today with fuel prices what they are, I’ve slowed to about 63 on the highway to save fuel, and guess what, I still don’t worry about what people think. If I pull out to pass a tractor trailer and some 90 mph jerk gets up behind me and starts making an ass of himself/herself I’m just glad I’m not in the car with them and don’t have to listen to it and yes, you can crawl up under my tailgate in the subdivision, I don’t care, I’m running 25 through it, no sense in taking a chance on hitting someone’s kid to make it to the house 30 seconds faster.

Skipper

I got to get an “in context” spell checker. :slight_smile:

In my experience, those who think they are being held up by someone driving safely and legally should have left five minutes earlier.

You should drive more. You don’t have enough experience.

I was on rt 125 in NH this past weekend. Speed limit 45…Two cars behind this dweeb doing 30. No passing lanes for MILES. You want to drive that slow…PULL OVER. People who drive like that are inconsiderate little dweebs who probably use to get beat up all the time in high-school…and this is their way of getting back at the world.

I agree. In the US it seems everyone feels they have rights to what they please and will do so if they think they are in the “right”. Other parts of the world people simply move to the side to let you pass or if an oncoming car performs essentially illegal pass with oncoming cars, the other cars move over to let the passing car through.

Joseph–I hope you realize that I’m just joking around with you. You consistently give good advice, spell-checker or not.

yup, these people also accelerate when you try to pass them. And lots of the 2 land roads in New England have limitted passing zones.

Actually, I just drove across the country in a very slow car, my wife’s 240D, which I try to keep under 65 mph (my car was in the shop). I did not have any problems, I simply kept in the right lane unless I was passing and avoided pulling out in front of people who were obviously driving much faster. All it takes is a little consideration. I normally drive fairly fast (but try to stay within 5-10 mph of the speed limit), so maybe I’m more aware of the folks who are driving faster than I was.

It was a fine trip, but I really don’t think I would have the patience to crawl along at those speeds on a regular basis.

No problem at ALL with you driving 25 or 20 for that matter…The problem MOST of us have is you WON’T pull over when cars are behind you. If you want to drive BELOW the speed limit…then have the decency NOT to screw with others peoples lives and pull over when cars are behind. You arrogance is appalling.

I used to fish tournaments a lot and I almost always pulled my boat in the hammer lane because if I got into the right lane and ran upon someone doing 55 mph nobody will let me over with the trailer to pass. I just wound my rig up to 70 to 75 and drove. If they get pissed off behind me, so be it. Back then the speed limit was 65 and so long as I could run it, I didn’t worry about the 90 mph idiots on the highway.

So you’re Left Lane Bandit (LLB). Lane discipline in sorely lacking in this county. In many European countries. A stunt like that would earn you a ticket.

Today with fuel prices what they are, I’ve slowed to about 63 on the highway to save fuel, and guess what, I still don’t worry about what people think. If I pull out to pass a tractor trailer and some 90 mph jerk gets up behind me and starts making an ass of himself/herself I’m just glad I’m not in the car with them and don’t have to listen to it and yes, you can crawl up under my tailgate in the subdivision, I don’t care, I’m running 25 through it, no sense in taking a chance on hitting someone’s kid to make it to the house 30 seconds faster.

Pretty selfish to inconvience the majority of other drivers to save a few bucks in gas. However I do agree with driving conservatively in residential zones.

You’d be in a real mood around here this time of year. There’s nothing like being stuck behind an 8N Ford with a 12’ wide tedder behind it or a wobbly wagon with 250 bales of hay on it.

Skipper

It would seem to me the ticket ought to go to the idiot running 90+ mph and weaving in and out of traffic. I could care less what they do in Europe, I get nervous enough going North of the Ohio River and darn sure don’t ever plan to have an issue driving in Europe. If the speed limit is 65 mph, my only crime is running 70 mph in a 65 zone not holding up someone who wants to run 100 mph. If I were running 50 in the passing lane, it’d be another deal all together, but as long as I can hold the speed limit or better, the fact that you want to run whatever, as far as I’m concerned, you just need to figure out how to run it I’m not bending over for you.

In case you haven’t noticed, most of the tractor trailer companies have turned their trucks down for the same reason and have started setting governors at 60 to 65 mph. When fuel starts eating into your profit, you’ll do things like that. Feel free to run up on the hind end of one of those 80,000 lb trucks and see if flashing lights and flying birds makes a difference.

The funny thing about some of you all in this thread is the attitude that “I’m going to break the speed limit law and if you don’t allow me to break the law, it’s your fault.” There’s just something not right about that. It’s kind of like a burglar suing a homeowner because he got injured in the process of breaking into the house.

Skipper

People get nasty when I drive to save gas

2ndtiming, people are getting nasty here too just from talking about the issue. I guess you can’t count on people to behave as civilized ladies and gentlemen, whether you are in your car of not. That might be the lesson here. If nice guys like SteveF and MikeInNH are ill mannered enough to make insults and wish for your misfortune, what hope is there for the future of polite society?

So what do we learn from such unrefined behavior? You can’t please all the people all the time, so why bother trying! Just drive your car your way and don’t worry what anyone else has to say about it. It’s the American way!

Nice try Kit, but if that were really all he/she was doing he/she would not be involking so much road rage.

Sorry, but I stand by my post. Keep up with the flow of traffic.

Living in the country is one thing…I grew up in farm country. But living in a LARGE city with LOTS OF TRAFFIC is just going to cause more problems then it solves.

If you are driving 90 MPH and everyone else is going 70. Then the person driving 90 is obviously creating an issue. Yes it does work both ways, there is no denying that. But if everyone else is going 90 and you are going 70, even if it against the law, then the person going 70 is creating an issue. Believe it or not most police officers generally go by the 85th percentile rule. Which basically means that they won’t bother you unless you are going much faster than the prevailing 85% of traffic. In some states (Oklahoma is the one that I read the article about) Police are pulling over people who are impeding traffic by driving slower than the prevailing 85%. The speed limits in this country are set so that the most brain dead sloth riding in a dilapidated hoopty can manage to keep his or her car on the road without too much trouble.