Parts no longer made for a 1998 Saturn?

I’m told my 1998 Saturn SL2 needs a new body control module, but my mechanic says it is no longer made. I’ve been scouring the salvage yards for it, but I was hoping someone out there could assist me in locating one and letting me know if this is something I can replace myself. Thanks!

if all else fails, try a GM dealership. they may be more expensive, but they should be able to find your part

Get the correct GM part number for your module and you will find one. What problem are you trying to cure?

There are probably several BCMs for that model of Saturn. With the right part number in hand, go to www.car-part.com and find the right one near you.

The odometer light was starting to dim, and I thought perhaps it was just a bulb, but the mechanic told me it was the BCM. I don’t have the part number handy, is there some place I can look it up? I’ve also had issues with the right tail light going out regularly. I understand the BCM distributes electricity through the car, so could that also be an issue? Also, the rear defrost only heats occasionally. Could all of that be related back to the BCM?

I would get on the internet and start calling all the companies that advertise either refurbished BCM’s or new BCM’s.

Just curious, what prompts you to want to replace the BCM? (I know you have been told it neeeds one,but whats the failure?)

The odometer light was starting to dim, and I thought perhaps it was just a bulb, but the mechanic told me it was the BCM. I don’t have the part number handy, is there some place I can look it up? I’ve also had issues with the right tail light going out regularly. I understand the BCM distributes electricity through the car, so could that also be an issue? Also, the rear defrost only heats occasionally. Could all of that be related back to the BCM?

I find lots of auto parts on ebay.

Are you satisfied that the mechanic you hired either knew all these functions were controlled by the BCM (and also eliminated other causes) or looked at the schematic and concluded that the BCM could be responsible?

Myself I would have to look at the schematic and see the realtion between the malfuncting components and the BCM.

Mind you you are trying to fix two intermittent problems and any fix may not have the desired results.

Try http://www.rockauto.com, they have a great listing for parts.