Parking/Ebrake Cable Snapped?

Hi there guys, I just bought a 2003 Ford Escape 4cyl Manual. It’s in great shape besides the parking break… When you pull it you can just feel that there’s nothing there. You’re just moving the handle. Is there a cable that hooks up to this?

Putting the Escape into Reverse has been working fine until I was putting a jetski into the lake with it last weekend and it started overcoming the engine compression and slowly rolling into the lake… lol. I did catch it before it made splash down though! But I’ve obviously got to get this thing fixed! How much might this cost me? Is it a big job? Thanks for any advice on this one!

Just to clarify, when I say cost me I mean cost me to take it to a qualified individual to fix! I’m a spark plugs and oil only kinda guy unfortunately.

Yes, there is actually three cables that run from the e-brake handle to the rear brakes. There should be one cable to the handle, then two individual cables that run from a balancing device under the car to the separate parking brake actuators at each rear wheel.

Depending on which cable snapped, a bit of dis-assembly of the console or a rear brake is required to replace the cable, but nothing to elaborate. Dealer may charge as much as $200 or more, but a good independent mechanic should charge much less than $200. The part itself is about $20 to $40 depending on the brand and quality.

Fantastic, that’s what I was hoping to hear. That’s doable for me if it ends up being in that range. Thanks for the info!