Owning antique cars if you can't do your own repairs

You find a mechanic that can work on it any repair will probably be less expensive than any repair needed on a modern car. my 2 cents.

I’m probably the only regular poster here who owns a bathtub Nash. In fact, I own two of them, a '50 Ambassador and a '50 Statesman. I don’t rely on any of my antique cars as daily drivers. Fun to drive, yes. Practical, no. I have not hired anyone to work on any of them in decades, and yes I’ve owned them for decades.

Would a bathtub Nash work as a part time family car? Sure. My folks drove Nashes, and later AMCs, and there were five of us kids. We’ve all survived, so far. Can you have seat belts installed? Sure, but shoulder harnesses would be difficult if not unfeasible. It would be great fun to have such a car, ready to enjoy. Is it as safe as a new Malibu? No. Will a new Malibu give you the same pride of ownership? Probably not.

Nashes have not quite gone through the roof in antique value, due in part to the fact that they were not particularly popular or highly sought after when they were new. On the other end of the spectrum are the early Mustangs which were dearly loved by millions and high priced now. Same with '55 '56, and '57 Chevys. It’s not that they are any better, but they are beloved.

If you decide to buy a Nash, you will find this club to be a big help. http://www.nashcarclub.org/ The members in your area will be helpful in finding parts and white haired mechanics to help keep your car running.

Look for a PM in your inbox at the top of the page.

The Nash cars are easy and cheap to service just like any of the old sleds from that era. Anyone with even a slight amount of mechanical ability should have no problem taking care of anything that crops up. A lawn tractor is more complicated by comparison.

My next door neighbor who moved just last year because of health issues and the need to be closer to hospitals has a '51 Plymouth Sedan (looks new) and a '52 Hudson Hornet which is a beauty. He’s owned them for years and drove them whenever he felt like it.

A now deceased friend of mine bought a '56 Ford Crown Vic out of a wheat field which was missing the front fenders and quite a few other things. He found a '56 station wagon for a donor car and a year later had the prettiest Hot Pink and White CV anywhere.
He used that car as a daily driver a lot and thought nothing of taking it 200 miles on a road trip to car shows. A trailer queen it was not and the car never ever hiccupped even on the unrestored engine that was sitting in it when he found it with weeds up to the doorhandles.

That car eventually made its way to a car museum after his passing.

One of the 60’s-70’s Station wagons might be the ticket.Maybe an Olds Vista Cruiser or similar (You might pay as much as $20,000 for one you would want to use daily)

Wow, I paid $250 for my 67 Vista Cruiser. Had to do a valve job and tires but still. I think I sold it for around $600.

MG, have you got any pics of your Nashes? Share please!

The sixties cars are only a little better than cars from the fifties. They still don’t have crumple zones or sturdy bumpers and door beams. Most have lap belts only. Of course no air bags or stability control. I understand sixties station wagons are being collected of late, by people my age nostalgic about their early years. Since most wagons had hard lives and few were valued until recently, good specimens are very rare despite the large numbers made. For restoration one of the biggest problem is the faux-wood side treatments, not the flat parts, which are just decals, but the fiberglass framing. As cars got old and bits of the plastic fell off many people tore all the rest off. Last I read about this no NE was yet making replica parts. And, of course, it’s the faux-woodies that people want. My parents thought it was silly so we had plain-Jane Country Sedan instead of a dressed up Country Squire. I must admit that I’d be tempted by a 1965 Country Sedan like we had if I ever bought an old car. I had some of the best times of my childhood in that car (and the '71 we replaced it with).

But I wouldn’t buy one to carry kids around in as it has hardly any safety features. Lap belts, safety glass, and a steering wheel that wouldn’t crush your chest as easily, that’s about all. And they handled very poorly, and had brakes were much weaker than now, though at least power brakes and steering were getting common except on the lower-end models. They did offer superb visibility in all directions. Boy, do I ever miss those road trips. Three weeks every summer. All over the US and a lot of Mexico and Canada, too. Much of my interest in cars grew out of my love of travel. Later I realized how interesting the cars were as mechanical objects.

I just don’t get why an old station wagon would be a good choice. Besides the safety, it’ll be a gas guzzler and handle worse than a minivan. And the pollution.

texases, I agree. I do NOT understand the prejudice against minivans. You buy a vehicle because it does the job you want it to do, not because of a perception of how your neighbors look at it.

b

I’m on my second Toyota Sienna. I’ve got nothing against it. It does a great job, and so did the first one. But you have to admit it’s a lot of fun to drive around in a classy old car with some style and character. It’s not about impressing the neighbors. It’s about enjoying the little things in life, like driving to the grocery store in a car that makes me smile when I look at it. It’s the same reason you plant flowers in the backyard and not only vegetables… just for the beauty and joy of the thing.

Well, I don’t agree most old classics are a lot of fun to drive. To look at, absolutely, but I’d much rather spend my driving time in a Sienna. I’m a car nut, but I get my enjoyment out of going to shows, museums, etc.

Here’s by brother’s '51 Packard he got recently for $4,500. The steering is scary-loose, he redid the brakes, pans under the trans in the garage catch a few quarts a month, 10 mpg, 6 volt electrics (but starts fairly well). It had $13,000 put into it by previous owners. Hobby car - yes, daily driver - no.

What a great car! Thanks for the photo, Insightful. I could be happy sitting in that even if it didn’t run. Ha ha!

speaking of tanks…
Friend of mine had SIX daughters.
Their two family cars were both Checkers with the two rear seats facing each other forward/rearward.

In another twenty years there will no doubt be middle aged guys buying early minivans for the nostalgic kick. My parents bought a Caravan a few years after they came out. From the start I loved riding in it and thought it far sensible than our old station wagons. My parents had it for years and it held up better than expected. They only disposed of it when they bought a motor home. We tried to convince them they should also keep the minivan, but my mother thought three vehicles was too many, even though the motor home was only for trips. There were times later when she wished they still had it.

That Packard is absolutely beautiful and the color scheme is as good as it gets. Love it! :smile:

As to old cars not being enjoyable to drive I guess that depends upon a personal point of view. Many years ago I had a '68 Roadrunner and I used to take out of state road trips at least once and sometimes twice a month in it. It was a joy to drive and never, ever left me stranded.
Granted, with no A/C in an OK summer it could be stuffy in city driving but fuel mileage on the open road wasn’t bad for a big cubic inch muscle car. It would tick off 16-17 MPG at 65-70 MPH.

Over the years I’ve owned a number of motorcycles (Harleys, Triumpsh, AJS, BMW, etc) and still own 2 antique Harleys.
Out of every one of those bikes the big inch sidevalve has been by far the most enjoyable to ride.
It chugs along no matter what and while it won’t outrun most bikes on the road it will idle all day long at 70 MPH. I’ve even had guys on late models tell me that their HDs sound like they’re overrevving next to me as they can count the cylinders firing.
Mountains of torque, foot clutch, and will take off without hesitation from a dead stop in 3rd gear.

What has drawn some looks at times is kickstarting it with the right hand. Crude? Yes. Fun? Much.

Well, we’re talking an old station wagon, not a Roadrunner. THAT would be fun!

I love the old wagons though and would really like to have an Olds Vista Cruiser from about 1969 or so.

I might draw the line at a Griswold Family Truckster though… :blush:

Now that would be a neat car and even cheaper than a 60 Morris Minor unless you go to Australia. I’d take it.

check internet for website on the type or model of vehicle you want. You find a club that has many members that could assist you.