Overheating in winter? Well it is Texas lol

Hi all,

I have a Lexus GS300 1998 that was passed down to me.

It ran great for few months, now it is over heating. Took it to a garage and mechanic said I needed a new radiator because it had too much build up? Do radiators get clogged?

Yes they do.

Tester

5 Likes

Hmmm, a GS that likely hasn’t had its coolant changed much if at all. Yup, clogged happens and @Tester posted a great picture!

3 Likes

ok, wow, didn’t think that was possible. . … thanks so much for posting pictures

Did you get the service history of this car when it was passed down to you? Were the coolant changes done on schedule?

If you don’t have the service history, you might want to assume that other scheduled maintenance wasn’t done on schedule and catch up on all of that now.

1 Like

we understand passed down usually means from a family member. but it has no timeframe. did your relative own car for 2yrs? or buy it new? car is 19 yrs old. it could have 75k miles or 275k miles

1 Like

Hey Lion,

No service history, it was handed down to me from an uncle. He didn’t drive it too much, wishing it was just a honda or something . . . mechanic said it would be pricey to get fixed.

Hey Cavell,

Sorry for not including more info . . . Car has about 150k miles . . . I’ve been driving it for 6 months . . . my uncle had bought it new, but didn’t drive it much last few years, been parked in a garage most of the time, till i came begging or it lol

It only has to be expensive if you want it to be

For instance, don’t buy a Lexus brand radiator. That is the most expensive way to go, and totally unnecessary

Have your mechanic source an aftermarket radiator. Might be made in Mexico or China, but it’ll be significantly less expensive.

Replacing a radiator is generally a pretty easy job for a mechanic. While he’s at it, it might be a good idea to check out the hoses and belts. Assuming they’re original, they might be in marginal shape at this time. A new pressure cap and thermostat would also be a good idea. Make sure all the fans are working correctly

5 Likes

Hi db,

Thanks for info . . . he did mention about replacing other stuff while he was there . . . I thought he was trying to get more cash out of me lol (not like i have it) . . . plus he started being a little rude, or maybe i was being sensitive lol.

So i guess good to do that maintenance stuff now while he is working on it. Might just have to save up a bit and not drive it too far for awhile . . .

He did mention of getting cheaper parts, but that they may not be as good.

It sounds like the guy is taking the right approach, except the part about being rude

1 Like

@ninakitkat89
"So i guess good to do that maintenance stuff now while he is working on it. Might just have to save up a bit and not drive it too far for awhile . . ."

If this car isn’t getting proper cooling and could run hot or overheat, it would be much better to get the cooling system (including radiator) in order before driving it.

This stuff is relatively minor. Expensive damage can result from overheating, very expensive!

Any way to drop in on Unc and mention that you really appreciate the car and casually mention that “Oh, by the way…” you’re having car trouble. Maybe he’d spring for a radiator?
CSA

1 Like

Hey thanks,

But kinda tough not to drive it, need car to get to work . . . so I can save up . . . to get it fixed . .

Is it ok if I just keep eye on gauge?? Stop as soon as it gets too hot??

And no luck on uncle, would be to embarrassed to ask for more help.

This one of those times that justify using a credit card. The interest you pay will be a lot less than a head gasket repair or cracked block.

2 Likes

Errr, yeah, seems like it to use credit card . . . I might just take it to a few more mechanics, see if i can get a better price too . . . never hurts i guess

2 Likes

@ninakitkat89

"Is it ok if I just keep eye on gauge?? Stop as soon as it gets too hot??"
This isn’t the best plan. What if you’re just short of your destination when it gets “almost too hot?” Do you sit and wait for it cool or chance it?

". . . I might just take it to a few more mechanics, see if i can get a better price too . . . never hurts i guess"
This plan, plan B is much better. I’ll bet you can find a more reasonable price. Ask around for recommendations. While you’re at it you could get a second opinion on the overheating. You wouldn’t want to spend all the money and still have an overheating problem.
CSA

1 Like

Ok found a nicer mechanic lol . . . should i do a radiator flush?? or just replace it??

Replace it. The one in there is really old.

2 Likes

the next expensive thing would be the water pump/et al. which prompts one to also change belts, hoses, since their uninstall labor is mostly included with pump uninstall disassembly better make a deal quick and listen to their maintenance advice or marry a mechanic

1 Like

I’m not saying this is the cause here, but I thought it’d be good to pass on the fact that radiators get clogged for various reasons, all contributory. Normal oxidization of the metals in the engine and system, contamination introduced during servicing, and… this one is controllable… the use of tap water to mix the coolant with. Tap water is tested and treated to be safe to drink, but not to ensure that it doesn’t contain minerals and contamination that can clog a radiator. Just as you get mineral buildup on your shower head, you can also get mineral buildup in your radiator.

The prevention? Using only distilled water, about $1/gallon at any grocery store, to mix your coolant with. I’ve never had a radiator problem since I started using only distilled water many years ago.

Just a tip to keep in mind. :grin:

1 Like