Overflow Reservoir.. Does My Volvo Have a Leak

The resevoir is supposed to be betwwen Minimum and Maximum as I understand it.

When the temperature outside went to 20 degrees my dashboard light told me i was low on antifreeze. I then realized i was parked on an incline in my driveway.

I took it into my repair shop anyway for an oil change and they did a pressure test and found no leaks and then topped it off.

Now It is still winter and sometimes it rides close to the minimum mark before the car reaches temperature.

I was told There were no leaks, but that My heater core could have a small leak.

My car’s heater is hotter than heck… The temperature gauge hovers perfectly where it has always been for 230,000 miles and there is no smell of antifreeze, no smoke from my tailpipe etc.

MY QUESTION IS>> ISN"T IT NORMAL FOR THE LEVEL TO FLUCTUATE DEPENDING ON THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE AND THE TEMP OF THE CAR?

Yes, it is…This tank accommodates the expansion and contraction of the coolant during normal operation. The difference between hot and cold can be as much as a half-gallon…

It’s called the Coolant Recovery System and it’s purpose is to keep all air out of the engine and radiator.

I appreciate your reply and I on’t know everything, but that is what I thought. I really did not buy the idea of a miniscule leak in the heater core. I had one of them once in a Toyota Truck and it poured into the cab.

Thnaks

You bet it will Fluctuate…just as the prior gent wrote…