Overfilled oil, stalling at idle & blue smoke! HELP!

I think I overfilled the oil in my car (2006 Saab 9-5, 2.3l turbo). After, I ran it for a few short trips with no problems, then it started losing power, then began running rough and finally blew the cap of dipstick right off and blew oil all over the engine! Now the car will start, but stalls after a few seconds of running REALLY, REALLY rough. It makes tons of blue smoke! What do I do?

You’d have to really overfill it a lot for there to major problems like this. How much oil did you put in?

The short answer is to drain oil out. Confused why you haven’t done that yet.

An engine that’s overfilled a lot, the crank will sit in the oil…and as it turns it will whip up the oil into a very thick substance which is very difficult for the pump.

Change the oil immediately and hopefully that’ll solve any problems. But I also think something else is going on here.

I have drained it to the proper level now. It still presents the symptoms I outlined.

Sounds like you pushed oil into the induction system by virtue of the oil return passages and the PCV system. IMHO you need to remove and thoroughly flush out the throttle body and the PCV valve, perhaps soak them in a pan of parts cleaning fluid and then flush.

4 Likes

You need to install this crankcase vent update kit.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/40687/Crankcase-Vent-Update-Kit-PCV-21341200/

The check valve and vent canister have failed allowing turbo boost to pressurize the oil pan and crankcase. Oil blows out the seals, blows into the intake and makes blue smoke come out the exhaust.

Before you have it installed, have the engine compression checked to make sure enough oil didn’t enter the intake to damage a cylinder.

This advice from a Saab 9-5 turbo owner. Been there, done that.

1 Like

I just got the throttle body open and there is about one third of an inch of oil sitting in the bottom of it.

You got good advice above, but on any car when you overfill the oil to the point where the crankshaft is hitting the oil, the spinning crankshaft and rod bottom ends whip air into the oil creating a froth , Since this froth, being mostly air is compressible unlike a liquid, the oil pump can’t pump it and your engine starves for oil. That is why you need a compression check to see if you have done permanent damage to your engine before spending money for repairs.

If yje compression is OK, then I would follow Mustangman’s advice.

3 Likes