Over heating

We were driving home yesterday and all of the sudden the car started to over heat and we could smell antifreeze. We turned the ac off and put more water in it. Today we just had to make a short trip somewhere (we were planning on having it looked at first thing Monday morning). The temperature gage never showed it overheating but as we pulled into our driveway we heard a knocking sound and it just shut off. I am freaking out a little. Can someone please tell me that it may just be a leak and it caused the car to over heat??

It’s a 2005 grand prix by the way.

No we cannot really tell. When something overheats, you don’t drive the car except for a very short trip the garage. You likely have some internal; engine damage by now.

The fact that you smell antifreeze should tell you that there is a leak somewhere, and you’ve lost coolant.

Remove the oil dip stick and see if the oil is over filled and looks like a chocolate shake.

If it is/does, the engine had either an intake manifold gasket or head gasket failure.

Tester

We checked the oil and it was fine. Color and level were fine.

We turned the ac off and put more water in it.

Did you add water just to the reservoir or directly to the radiator?

we added it to both.

Then a cooling system pressure test should be performed.

Some auto parts stores will rent this tester and give you your money back when it’s returned.

And if you decide to go this route, make sure the tester has the GM reservoir adapter. Because there’s no radiator cap on the radiator, the tester alone won’t work.

Tester

Because there's no radiator cap on the radiator, the tester alone won't work.

I believe this car has a non-pressurized reservoir like my daughter’s '04 Grand Prix.

When was the last time the reservoir was known to be full?

Yesterday before it started overheating on the highway.

Was the radiator also known to be full yesterday before the overheating? Has it been using coolant?

Here’s the radiator/recovery bottle cap for your daughters 04 Grand Pix.

As you can see it has a pressure rating. Which means it’s a totally pressurized system.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=295873&cc=1429703&jnid=440&jpid=1

Tester

Yes. It has been full the whole time. We haven’t had to add anything to it on a regular basis. Just yesterday all of the sudden it started over heating and there was water in some places. When you add water to it there is a hose that comes out of a metal piece under the starter, you can see water coming out of that little metal piece.

Not starter, alternator, sorry.

"Just yesterday all of the sudden it started over heating and there was water in some places. When you add water to it there is a hose that comes out of a metal piece under the starter, you can see water coming out of that little metal piece. "

Should have stopped driving it at that point, I would say

:frowning:

This is what I see when I open the hood. No pressurized reservoir. The radiator cap (on the radiator) is plastic, however.

http://gtcarlot.com/engines/Pontiac/Grand+Prix/2004/518332/58484520.html

I know :frowning: that’s what I am afraid of. It will still start but the only place it’s going is to the mechanic.

Don’t drive it to the mechanic. Have it towed

:worried:

ok I will.

I’m mostly concerned about the cost of fixing it.